Siuslaw at Cushman

M
mikeredding
I was in Florence this weekend and saw a ton of boats trolling around Cushman. Is anyone catching anything? I assume the Chinook are coming through right now. Probably a little early for Coho.

M
mikeredding
Anything?

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah there are fish being caught daily down there. somedays better than others.

R
rippin fish lips
saw 10 fish boated for over 100 boats on the water today. heard of a 56 pounder and a 46 pounder caught the other day. Also heard some guy saying there was a 70 pounder caught this year, i kinda believe it cz the fish are bigger this year, but still 70 pounds is up there... but if u r there at the right time it could happen. not sure tho..

M
mikeredding
rippin fish lips said:
saw 10 fish boated for over 100 boats on the water today. heard of a 56 pounder and a 46 pounder caught the other day. Also heard some guy saying there was a 70 pounder caught this year, i kinda believe it cz the fish are bigger this year, but still 70 pounds is up there... but if u r there at the right time it could happen. not sure tho..

46 & 56. those are big fish but 70? Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!

R
rippin fish lips
mikeredding said:
fish but 70? Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what i think!! saw some nice fish caught. ppl said the last few days ahve been slow

J
jawjacker
46 & 56. those are big fish but 70? Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!
I was at that little mom & pop one stop shop in Mapleton and they have a realy nice mount of a fish done by Michael deSoto of Oregon Fish Reproductions. I figured it couldn't have weighed much more than 30lbs at best but I asked the dude at the counter how big it was just to kinda gauge the cost of the mount. He couldn't recall exactly how big it was but said it was the largest fish caught on that river last year and the guy who caught it always wins their little on going season long salmon derby they hold at the store. I realise theirs some 5 year fish around but 70lbs might be pushing it. If not I need to get my butt down their.

R
rippin fish lips
jawjacker said:
I realise theirs some 5 year fish around but 70lbs might be pushing it. If not I need to get my butt down their.

Yeah there is some dandy 5 year fish around this year! If you got an open seat... i got money!!
I imagine the new moon will make the bite ha[ppen again and oregon needs some rain!!! Lets just get the fire crews out there to spray water down in the bays and oceans!!

R
rippin fish lips
Sorry for the double post... but for all u fall chinook cashers, there are a good amount of fish at cushman and throught the tide water, but i think the majority of the fish are still off the mouth and in the ocean! We need a good rain and then it will be FISH ON!

D
Damon79
rippin fish lips said:

I heard a few years back that ODFW ran a net across the river just above the North Fork bridge and pulled a 70 pounder out and did their little scale research stuff on it and released it.. The umpqua produces fish that big all the time, so it is very possible a fish that big was caught on the Slaw.. Usually the biggest fish in the contest at Mapelton goes right around the 52-55 pound mark. I would love to catch a 50 pound Nook in tidewater.. Biggest Nook I have caught was about 25 pounds at Red Hill above Brickerville. Good luck to all of you..

J
JeannaJigs
I've seen some MASSIVE, absolutely massive carcasses up at fish creek over the years near the spawning beds. Easily 60+, so yeah i'll bite that there's some beast fish.

J
jawjacker
Thanks for getting me pumped guys. If this aint the year to catch that 50lb+ I don't know what is. I havent heard this much optimism about fall salmon fishing ever. That goes for everywere not just the Slaw. Theirs some real opportunity this year good luck & go get um boys.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive heard of some good sized fish this year too from my local stream. 48 and a 52 down at the jaws.

M
mikeredding
I fished it hard today. My wife hooked a nook and lost it right at the boat and I caught a nice wild coho............................................................and released it of course.:(

R
rippin fish lips
The slaw is such a beautiful water way to, at low tide you can see all the roots and stumps logs that are there, and all the minnows everywhere. I want to hit it hard this year. I don't like fishing them from the bank but i am very tempted to this year! And i was markin some big a$$ fish on the finder the day we went. Some of the biggest ones i have marked in the 4 years of fishing it.

M
mikeredding
I marked a lot of fish today. The ho's are definitely coming in. I marked a school of fish and as soon as my gear hit the school it was fish on and coho at the boat. Sucked to release it. Very clean and bright fish.

R
RunWithSasquatch
mikeredding said:
I marked a lot of fish today. The ho's are definitely coming in. I marked a school of fish and as soon as my gear hit the school it was fish on and coho at the boat. Sucked to release it. Very clean and bright fish.

Next thursday will be game over for the squirly little choyo silver salmons.

R
rippin fish lips
mikeredding said:

Yeah we saw quite a few coho rolling around, but they were pretty spread out and in about 6- 10 feet of water with some in the deeper stuff but suspended. there is quite a few jacks this year.... i think... marked a lot of smaller fish to. Did you see any action nesides ur wifes hookup??

M
mikeredding
Yep. I plan on being there Sat. And the ODFW checker at the dock thinks the 900 fish quota will be met within a week and then its game over.

M
mikeredding
rippin fish lips said:
Did you see any action nesides ur wifes hookup??

As far as I know, there was 2 chinook brought in today. A 20lb and 30 lb
Pretty slow