Shrimp questions, I'm clueless here.

V
viper0463
Ok live shrimp is out of the question here. I can get either raw or cooked shrimp. What is the better choice? Do I use a cure on the shrimp if? Will a borax cure work? Do I use the whole tail or just a piece? Any other advise would help thanks. Oh this is for river fishing steelhead.

F
fishing_mission
For steelies I like to use raw salad shrimp. I use a borax sugar salt cure just to toughen em up for they last longer.

V
viper0463
fishing_mission said:
For steelies I like to use raw salad shrimp. I use a borax sugar salt cure just to toughen em up for they last longer.

Shell on or off? Tail on or off? Sorry for all the questions. Also can you dye them different colors? After you borax them can they be frozen?

I
I need stitches
What's worked for me is cured prawns. If your going to cure your own nates bait prawn cure has also worked for me on raw shrimp with shell on and tail on. I wouldn't freeze longer then 60days.

P
plumb2fish
Try the little cooked cocktail shrimp, toss em in the microwave for a few seconds it sort of rubberized em....tip your jigs, or drift fish em...

T
Toyracer38
Here something that may help you. I use this stuff and it works good. Don't have to use coon shrimp, could use prawns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHGjLeUr92o

Also other videos on youtube about curing shrimp, that could help you out.