Should they stay or should they go?

brandon4455
brandon4455
treble hooks cause less damage then a single hook? thats probably the most ignorant thing i have ever heard :lol: it's not the genetics that are the problem for the most part, it's the fisherman that the stockers bring to the McKenzie. bait fisherman and lure fisherman using huge trebles = hooking mortality on redsides.

I
I <3 <><
brandon4455 said:
treble hooks cause less damage then a single hook? thats probably the most ignorant thing i have ever heard :lol: it's not the genetics that are the problem for the most part, it's the fisherman that the stockers bring to the McKenzie. bait fisherman and lure fisherman using huge trebles = hooking mortality on redsides.

I think this depends, it really is all how the fish takes the bait. A hungry trout that gets all three trebles stuck in its mouth is damaging to the fish, most of the fish I have had this happen with have ended up being dinner. Most of the time I ever hook fish on the spinner though they only catch one maybe two of the hooks, normally just like a fly, in the corner of their mouth. Ive fished bait hooks under a bobber using worms/eggs and have had the same thing though. One day on a river I used the same peice of worm to catch like 5 fish because it was just hooked in the corner of the mouth, easy release. But sometimes they will swollow the bait (a lot of times if you wait to set the hook,) (also a lot of it depends on when you set the hook)

brandon4455
brandon4455
not just being gut hooked cases death, when a fish takes a spinner or spoon that has more then one hook it usually sheds their jaw pretty bad, i spinner fished for over 10 years and what i have found is it's rare that there is only one small hole when a fish is hooked on a treble, it does damage to their jaw the majority of the time.

F
fishinshawn
brandon4455 said:

I said small single egg hooks, they most often times get sucked pretty deep. A large treble doesn't, it doesn't get into the gills, which is where most hooking mortality comes from. Being hooked in the mouth is ideal, and if your careful will cause minimal damage upon removal. Regardless, it isn't the number of points, but the barb that does the most damage. Anyone who is truly worried about it should be fishing barbless.

Other then being hooked to deep the majority of deaths will likely come because of stress of the fight,acid buildup, and accidental removal of body slime during the release of the fish. If your palming a trout across it's sides you are removing body slime and increasing the chances of fungal infections. The best thing to do with wild fish is to not touch them, simply leave them in the water use a pair of needle nose pliers and you can easily remove the barbless hook without ever touching the fish.

T
TTFishon
The best thing to do is to leave them alone and not catch them. lol

R
rippin fish lips
Man, i would go and type up a debate for treble hooks, but in reality... If you really look at the deitails... It depends on how hungry the fish is and your "hooksetting" has a major role in fish mortality. You should, as a fisherman be able to set the hook at the right time and hook the trout in any part of the mouth. GUTHOOKING is possible to avoid when u set the hook at the right time, but then again.... it comes back to how hungry the fish is!! If the fish is hungry enough that fish will swallow whatever presentation you throw at them. Most simple thing you can do... if u guthook/gillhook more then 1 fish in one trip, is to chance ur dang hooksize until you are consistantly hooking them in the lip.

Not trying to hurt any feelings or send any hard feelings towards other fisherman... But if you are are good enough at removing hooks... most of your hooked fish, that hook really shouldnt be that hard to get out in the first place! Also... when a trout swallows a treble, there is always a puzzle to getting them out with out doing any harm to the fish, if you are in no hurry... that hook should come out fine!! Take your time and be gentle with removing hoks from fish. Simple as that. If a fish dies from your hooks... what r u gunna do? nothing cuz its already gunna die. It's the world and sport that we live in!! All this is debatable, and every hook/lure/fly will have some type of side affect on trout/salmon/steelhead. It's all just the commen sence of the fisherperson to be honest. Sorry... i kinda went on a rant. but i am done noww.