Shimano Stradic ci4- any reviews?

1 nut in the water
Looking for a new ultra light reel and I am leaning towards the Shimano Stradic ci4 1000 so curious if anyone has any feedback about theirs?

Also looking for a reel repair guy in the Eugene area- took my stradic fj1000 apart and can't get the thing- a- ma- jig back into the do hickey and am out of patience.....

Last edited:
Y
Yogidabear
I have 3 stradic ci4 3000 and they are by far the the best reel I have ever owned. I just love mine the drags are great and the reel is super smooth . the 1000 is just a smaller unit if I were going to trout fish I would get the 1000 for sure.

R
randomschmoejoe
Yogidabear said:
I have 3 stradic ci4 3000 and they are by far the the best reel I have ever owned. I just love mine the drags are great and the reel is super smooth . the 1000 is just a smaller unit if I were going to trout fish I would get the 1000 for sure.

DIDDO!!! To tell yeah the truth though, they seem to be a little on the light side (the only difference between the ci4 and the cheaper models is the reinforced fiber carbon).

I run a stradic ci4 4000 on a g loomis rod rated for 8-17 pound test and even though they're a perfect match line wise the balance is a bit OFF(the lowest rating on the rod is the most ideal line forthe rod,according to g loomis).

Troutski
Troutski
I enjoy the Stradic life, once you have fished with a Stradic there is no turning back. I have fish them for over 15 years and each year they seem to find a new way to improve them. I am quite handy with all the Shimano spinning reels, if you need some help shoot me a pm and we can work out the problems you are having.
Tight lines...

Chuck

18406ej
18406ej
Dear One Nut,

Welcome to my world. It is refreshing to see someone else taking something apart only to perform a miracle of loaves and fishes, and ending up with a significant number of parts left over upon completion of reassembly. I always take these occurrences as proof that a product is grossly over-engineered and let the manufacturers know of their mistake. Nobody has ever replied to these very helpful thoughts except Smith and Wesson, who not only telephoned me two minutes after they received my email, but also sent two very nice gentlemen from the ATF that not only took the gun from me to look some things over, but also gave me a very organized and well thought-out note from a Federal Judge that was kind enough to invite me to come tell him my story down at the Federal Building. Unfortunately I was unable to scrape up enough funds for the cost of admission listed for this meeting so I wrote back to the Judge, thanked him warmly for the offer and sent regrets that I would not be able to attend.

It is typical and generous of Troutski to offer his assistance to OFF members in need, and many of us owe him our thanks. I vouch for his knowledge of all things Shimano, and I purchased my flawless Stradic and my Symetre (both 3k) years ago on his recommendation. He will certainly help you out of your most human bind.

I must sign off now as I see my two ATF buddies coming up the walkway. It looks like they have some more invitations for me from the Judge...I am sure that as a magistrate the guy is nice enough, but he sure is a persistent little ba-tard.

EJ

M
Modest_Man
Check out the Pflueger Patriarch. Lighter and just as good of a drag.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I chose the CI4 over the Pflueger because they have a higher retrieve ratio. Both are great reels. Not sure how the Pflueger will hold up long term.

T
Tinker
steelhead_stalkers said:
I chose the CI4 over the Pflueger because they have a higher retrieve ratio. Both are great reels. Not sure how the Pflueger will hold up long term.

We shouldn't be confident about how graphite reels will hold up. All known graphites develop micro-fractures that result in structural failure, over time - not even NASA knows how to overcome that (there are numerous NASA studies about this inherent characteristic of graphite materials that you can find online).

That doesn't make them crappy reels, but we should ask ourselves if the move towards more-and-more graphite in the reels a clever way to ensure we have to replace them after x-number of years rather than handing them down to our kids and grandkids? I'm just saying.

(Before you jump, I own a Saros and a Stradic C14. Swore I wouldn't, but had a moment of insanity...)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Interesting info.

Well, it looks like you have reels to hand down but no rods! :lol: Pretty much all rods these days are made of graphite. There are still original G loomis rods going strong after over 30 years so I would imagine this graphite break down won't happen in our lifetime or even our kids. I also believe the CI4 is a graphite blend so it should last a very long time.