Scents, smells and using gloves with steelhead and salmon

H
homerhomer
I have a couple quick questions about cleaning used tackle and gloves

Last year I was using some anise oil on my jigs and I wasn't having any luck. I then switched to a brand new jig, skipped the oil, and second cast ( WHAM! ) fish on. After landing the fish, I was thinking that my other jigs where tainted with the anise oil, old shrimp and egg tippings. So I'm not really sure on how I should be cleaning these used jigs, spoons, corkies and spinners. Do any of you have any pointers on this issue for a guy who doesn't want to buy new tackle each time he goes out.

Oh and do you guys think gloves make a big difference? Latex, vinyl or sheepskin? ( just kidding )

Actually any tips on maintaining tackle would be awesome.

T
Toyracer38
I started thinking about this stuff also this year. I've started using Lemon Joy (non ultra). I put some in a spray bottle with water and use it before handling tackle and bait. I also cut the top off an old gallon milk jug and put some Joy and water in it to soak my lures in after a fishing trip. I'm sure there are things we come in contact with all the time that a fish could smell and be turned off by. Figured it couldn't hurt and I've been doing pretty well inking my tags.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Toyracer is dialed pretty well on the dish detergent, soap your stank gear and freshen it up.

Though I prefer sheepskin, I use gloves more for my protection than the fishes. My hands get ravaged by the goodies in fish bait cures.

Some days I swear I could store my fishing gear in my dirty old work socks, and use the nastiest baits I could find and the fish want to roll over dead and go home with me.

Some days I swear I need to be in a haz-mat suit to keep things clean enough to make them bite.

I think more often then not, I just need to make my casts, and stick my gear in there face and let them react.

Over thinking simple things weights down confidence.

D
dtikey
RunWithSasquatch said:
Toyracer is dialed pretty well on the dish detergent, soap your stank gear and freshen it up.

Though I prefer sheepskin, I use gloves more for my protection than the fishes. My hands get ravaged by the goodies in fish bait cures.

Some days I swear I could store my fishing gear in my dirty old work socks, and use the nastiest baits I could find and the fish want to roll over dead and go home with me.

Some days I swear I need to be in a haz-mat suit to keep things clean enough to make them bite.

I think more often then not, I just need to make my casts, and stick my gear in there face and let them react.

Over thinking simple things weights down confidence.

Agreed on this.I dont wash any of my freshwater gear and dont wear gloves but can still catch a fish every now and then.The only gear I do wash is spinners from saltwater and my reels after fishing saltwater.Its just a fish!!!

B
BlackBass
My advice would be fish the right jig and you will not need shrimp anise or any other for of scent. Typical for the beginning steelhead/salmon angler to want to fish crap on his jigs. Either fish a shrimp or a jig , no need to combine the two .