Sandy River

kirkster
kirkster
Jacks Tackle said:
Guys there are lot more fish in the river than one may believe. if there is a gill netter at the mouth of the sandy they would be illegal. There is a sanctuary around the mouth of the Sandy.

15000 fish is what is expected back to the river, not the Hatchery. The ODFW knows that no where near that is gonnago up that creek.

First you have to take 15,000. Subtract the number that is in the trap. The n subtract the number of fish that have been caught since late august. roughly 60 days by how many fisherman??

Then subtract the number of fish above the creek, infront of the creek, around the island, in the Salmon hole, in the fast water below the salmon hole, the house hole, the next 20 holes between that and dodge. Then down on through the pipeline, girlscout and the next 7 miles to the Oxbow ramp and on through the park anmd so on. If you think you can see them all than you are kidding yourself. Fish are great at hiding when they want to. If there are no biters in the hole move on to another hole.

If a Gillnet boat is taking even 10,000 fish then after two nights they would be beyond the Sandy run and working on other rivers and the Sandy would have 0000.

Yes the Gill netters are getting fish in the Columbia, I dont like it any more than any one else but this ilogical ranting and raving makes us all look like kindergardners.

There are fish to be had, you just have to learn a few things to get them.

Just my thoughts on all of this.
Very well put

B
bigdog
I agree well said. Thats river is full of fish no dout about it.

F
Fishtopher
youngbuck307 said:
the other day up there me and fishkiller walked the CC part way up and there is more then a few hundred in there thats for sure

you guys get any more that day?

F
fisch
There is a lot less fish in Oxbow Area than there were 2-3 weeks ago. That is a fact. I was able to see 30-50 fish in holes when they were there. Last time I checked(Thu) I saw 2-3 fish in places that had 30-50. I got good # when they were there. I haven't cought a Ho in 2 weeks on Sandy and that's because there are there in few numbers. Lots of chinook action lately but that's all. I think good Coho action on Sandy is over. That's all I got.

J
Jacks Tackle
fisch said:
There is a lot less fish in Oxbow Area than there were 2-3 weeks ago. That is a fact. I was able to see 30-50 fish in holes when they were there. Last time I checked(Thu) I saw 2-3 fish in places that had 30-50. I got good # when they were there. I haven't cought a Ho in 2 weeks on Sandy and that's because there are there in few numbers. Lots of chinook action lately but that's all. I think good Coho action on Sandy is over. That's all I got.

You are right. It is late October and the water temps are not such that the fish will be limited in their travel. Most of the fish are above Oxbow now and made that move around the 18th when the river jump up to the low eight's. Once that happened the temps and flows are such with timing that new fish will travel faster to the upper river and will not stop long to hold in the deep holes along the way. There are still new shiny fish showing up in the river but especially now with the river almost hitting 9 feet last night these fish will make a BLine for dodge and higher.

Good fishing is still to be had just not in the mid and lower river like a month ago.

RB

T
Troutier Bassier
So Most of the Fish that came in earlyer are above Dodge is what your Saying?

J
Jacks Tackle
As of last nights rain yes. Most of the silvers will be well above Oxbow now and any new silvers will travel fast to get up there.

Most of the Nooks will spawn down low. The Nooks will spread through out the river but most will stay below Dodge.

F
FishKiller23
Just got a report from a friend. Said he has 2 fish on the bank and the water is muddy.

T
Troutier Bassier
Oh, Thanks Rob.

Where is your friend Fishing at?

U
Upgrayedd
Fished Dodge Park for six hours this morning - water was muddy. I had three strikes (one on a pink yarnie, one on a silver and pink spoon and one on a gold and orange Kwikfish) but didn't get any clean sets. No one else had so much as a solid hookup.

Between the collected group, pretty much everything was tried without success.

Gonna give it another go tomorrow morning.

T
todd_brooks
Well as I guess you can't believe everything you hear about gill netters. I'll be back to the Sandy myself after my trip to the Clack. and Eagle creek this morning. Did see a lot of fire truck fish and a few taken out that weren't half bad. But not many for all the people that were there. I can't believe how trashy people can be by the way kind a make a guy sick to see.:confused:

F
FishSchooler
My bad, that was an old update on ODFW's.
Turned out to be 26,000. Not 688! :cool:

J
Jacks Tackle
FishSchooler said:
My bad, that was an old update on ODFW's.
Turned out to be 26,000. Not 688! :cool:

do you have a link tom that?

RB

B
bigdog
EAGLE CREEK: coho

Under a new rule that took effect Sept. 1, anglers are able to keep up to three steelhead and salmon in combination, as long as one is an adipose fin-clipped adult coho. For another week flows are the problem on Eagle Creek, with water levels remaining extremely low. Coho that found their way into the creek in September are widely scattered and very dark. The much anticipated rain for last weekend was far less than forecasters predicted, leaving anglers waiting for some significant precipitation.
.......................................................................................................................So is this saying you can keep nate fish as long as one is a hatch??????

M
mgdguy
bigdog said:
EAGLE CREEK: coho

Under a new rule that took effect Sept. 1, anglers are able to keep up to three steelhead and salmon in combination, as long as one is an adipose fin-clipped adult coho. For another week flows are the problem on Eagle Creek, with water levels remaining extremely low. Coho that found their way into the creek in September are widely scattered and very dark. The much anticipated rain for last weekend was far less than forecasters predicted, leaving anglers waiting for some significant precipitation.
.......................................................................................................................So is this saying you can keep nate fish as long as one is a hatch??????

NO...3 clipped fish, one of which has to be a ho! In other words no 3 clipped steels.

B
bigdog
mgdguy said:
NO...3 clipped fish, one of which has to be a ho! In other words no 3 clipped steels.

Ok just wanted to make sure. Wasn't sure if I was reading that correctly or not. You never know the way they change the rules all the time.