Sandy High School trail?

K
Kage
I read somewhere about there being a trail that starts at the old Sandy HS gravel parking that leads down to a fishing area, I live near the school and just can't seem to find it. Is there a trail somewhere nearby or am I confused w/ something else? I'm trying to find other places nearby town to fish at besides Dodge Park.

S
sethinoregon
I am not positive but I think there is a trail and I believe that it leads to Cedar Creek. It may stop at some other places as well. I ran into a couple of guys at cedar creek that said they hiked in from the high school. My understanding is that it is a much longer hike than from the parking lot.

K
Kage
oh ok, as I'm still new to the area now I need to find out where Cedar Creek is haha thanx for the info :D

T
troutmasta
Cedar Creek is off of Ten Eck road. If your headed north on 26 take a left at Ten Eck, its where the 7-11 is. Follow that road for about 3/4 mile you'll see a sign on the right, the road is on the left. that'll take you to the hatchery, you can park there and hike down. youll see others, follow them. if you have waders and the water is at 8.5 or less at bull run you might consider crossing the river. I do that often. You'll see others doing it. I recommened crossing with them if you are unsure of where to do it. good luck

Last edited:
K
Kage
oh ok, yah the next big investment I need to make is waders, I tried to cross at Dodge Park but all I had were boots on. I looked up the hatchery on google maps and it looked like a large field next to the hatchery so I'm a bit confused by where the trail is to get to the river. I suppose I'll just have to go and find my way next time I can take a trip out there. thanx again guys for the info :D

S
sethinoregon
Kage said:
oh ok, as I'm still new to the area now I need to find out where Cedar Creek is haha thanx for the info :D

Cedar Creek it where the Hatchary is at. If you are thinking about going this week there will be a road cloaure due to repaving the hatchery road. Not sure what days though. We're gonna need a couple of days of dry weather for the river to green up anyway.

T
troutmasta
Kage said:
oh ok, yah the next big investment I need to make is waders, I tried to cross at Dodge Park but all I had were boots on. I looked up the hatchery on google maps and it looked like a large field next to the hatchery so I'm a bit confused by where the trail is to get to the river. I suppose I'll just have to go and find my way next time I can take a trip out there. thanx again guys for the info :D

The trail starts at the parking lot. Its impossible to miss

A
alm21
An Osmosis repost:

Road to Sandy hatchery to close for repaving

October 16, 2012

CLACKAMAS, Ore. — The road to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s Sandy Fish Hatchery will close for repaving for up to two days during the week of Oct. 22-26.

Located approximately 1.5 miles northeast of Sandy off of SE Ten Eyck, the SE Fish Hatchery is the only motorized access to the Sandy hatchery. In addition to providing access to the hatchery, the road provides access to the Cedar Creek trailhead, a popular jumping off point for anglers hiking the half-mile trail to the mouth of Cedar Creek at its confluence with the Sandy River. The mouth of Cedar Creek is a popular coho fishing destination in the fall.

The road closure was scheduled during the week to minimize the impact on weekend angling, according to Todd Alsbury, ODFW district fish biologist. The work is road work is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 22-23 but is weather-dependent and subject to change. Anglers who want to make sure of the exact work dates before venturing out to the river are encouraged to call the Sandy hatchery at 503-668-4222.

Alsbury noted that coho anglers looking for an alternative to the Sandy hatchery access point might want to consider Sandy River Park. Sandy River Park is a 124-acre city-owned park accessed by entering the trailhead at the end of Marcy Street in Sandy. Parking is available in the Sandy High School gravel parking lot on Bluff Rd. From there, anglers can hike a 1-mile stretch of old logging road to the river. Alsbury also suggests that during the road closure anglers consider trying out some other popular fishing locations, including Oxbow and Dabney parks, which have plenty of public river access.

The paving is part of $4 million improvement project at the Sandy hatchery funded by the city of Portland. The project includes a new intake and screening system for the hatchery, fish passage improvements and improved trapping and sorting facilities.

The contractor on the project is Stellar J from Woodland, Wash. Construction has been underway since June 1 and is nearing completion.

The paving will cover about 1,000 feet of roadway from the hatchery to near the intake on SE Fish Hatchery road.

###

Jerry Frampton (503) 539-0696
Todd Alsbury (971) 673-6011

H
Homebrewmike
Which side of Cedar Creek does that trail come out?

C
CurtisP87
It leads to the east side of the creek, but its not hard to cross the creek to get downstream of the confluence.

T
troutmasta
Im hittin that hike tomorrow. rivers been dropping slowly for like 5 days. Shold be semi-fishable, last two hos I got were in semi-milky water there. anyone want to hike?

T
Troutier Bassier
Kage said:
I read somewhere about there being a trail that starts at the old Sandy HS gravel parking that leads down to a fishing area, I live near the school and just can't seem to find it. Is there a trail somewhere nearby or am I confused w/ something else? I'm trying to find other places nearby town to fish at besides Dodge Park.

Drive past the school and make the first left into that neighborhood then drive to the end of that road and park. Its a looong hike to the end of the river though !