Sandy Coho report for yesterday

F
flyman
Fished both Dodge park down stream and 1 mile stretch below Cedar creek. picked up a couple in 5 hours using olive colored wooly bugger. Never got into any busy pods. Scrounged through lots of the pocket water. Gorgeous day though.

J
Jacks Tackle
Are the crowds thinning up there yet?

RB

O
osmosis
Not from what I hear RB.

J
Jacks Tackle
I didn't think so but I thought maybe with the lack of rain it would thin a bit.

Osmo congrats on the guiding, hope it works well for you, If I can help you in any way let me know.

RB

O
osmosis
Thanks RB! I'll be mid river tomorrow and will try to swing by to introduce myself finally.

Unfortunately I've been hearing it's still quite the circus even without the rain!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Jacks Tackle said:
Are the crowds thinning up there yet?

RB
I was at Dodge Park area from 2pm until 5pm hitting the water with the spey rod. Only three people at Dodge. I walked up stream to the hole between Dodge and the Garbage Hole and had the hole to myself all during that time. When I came back down river to Dodge there was only one guy left there still fishing. Last week I was at Dodge and had it to myself for an hour or so then I walked down to pipeline and saw six guys. I moved on down to the girls scout hole and saw four guys (all from OFF) Don't know about cedar creek haven't been there in years don't plan on going back. I suspect it will be busy this weekend. Think I'll spend the weekend at the bench tying up flies to replace the ones I left in the bottom of the Sandy.;)

Osmo you thinking of guiding on the Sandy too? You sure could work that lower portion with your sled, and if you get that drift boat you could do Oxbow to Dabney. Be nice to see you out there.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Only semi crowded when i went up on tuesday....and i only ran in to two guys from the forum....

F
fisch
Cedar Creek Circus

Cedar Creek Circus

On Sun I decided I'm going to check it out - what the heck?! Met up with fishkiller23 (saw bobberdown and bigdog later). The most fishermen I've ever seen in my life! We got away from crowds and fishkiller23 showed me a decent hole with plenty of room to fish. First cast - fish on - fish off. 5 minutes later fish on and i had to go down the rapids to get it. 10lb hen in OK shape on the bank(no photo). 45min. later I gave fishkiller23 some fresh eggs and on his 2nd cast bam - nice chromer making flips in the air. He lost it but it was good to see some fresh fish fight. Then we went above the creek and got nada.

All and all an OK trip if you can get away from crowds.

A
alm21
fisch said:
On Sun I decided I'm going to check it out - what the heck?! Met up with fishkiller23 (saw bobberdown and bigdog later). The most fishermen I've ever seen in my life! We got away from crowds and fishkiller23 showed me a decent hole with plenty of room to fish. First cast - fish on - fish off. 5 minutes later fish on and i had to go down the rapids to get it. 10lb hen in OK shape on the bank(no photo). 45min. later I gave fishkiller23 some fresh eggs and on his 2nd cast bam - nice chromer making flips in the air. He lost it but it was good to see some fresh fish fight. Then we went above the creek and got nada.

All and all an OK trip if you can get away from crowds.

I haven't been up there in a couple weeks. With the rains, is crossing the river still good?

F
FishKiller23
alm21 said:
I haven't been up there in a couple weeks. With the rains, is crossing the river still good?

The river was still pretty easy to cross not bad at all.

A
alm21
FishKiller23 said:
The river was still pretty easy to cross not bad at all.

Cool, I might go check it out Thur morning. I'm taking my 12yr old daughter out fishing Friday and want to scout CC to see if it will be good for her. I want to be able to wade across the river with her - she's a bean pole. :) Otherwise, I have a plan B.

B
Blue Fox
Newbe been fishing the Sandy

Newbe been fishing the Sandy

Hey guys,

I am pretty new to fishing for anything in fresh water. Been hittin the Sandy regularly lately and really trying to learn how to catch coho but I am having no luck. I am looking forward to the winter steelhead because I understand they are much easier to catch. Anyway, I was at the mouth two weeks ago during that first real rain and I had coho running all over me. Literally, they were bumping into my feet in the shallows. I must have seen near five hundred pass right next to me but could not catch one.

I fished Oxbow this last weekend and saw some fish but again could not catch anything. I am using spinners, plugs and spoons. I am impressed with hearing you guys catching fish. Obviously having experience helps. I thought about just waiting for the winter steelhead before I go back out there but then I get the itch.... thought maybe I would try floating eggs this time.

I am throwing my lures in good deep holes, all types of retrieve styles. I use shrimp oil for scent and throw them a bunch of different looks. No deal though. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any of you guys members of the Sandy Steelheaders club?

F
FishFinger
alm21 said:
Cool, I might go check it out Thur morning. I'm taking my 12yr old daughter out fishing Friday and want to scout CC to see if it will be good for her. I want to be able to wade across the river with her - she's a bean pole. :) Otherwise, I have a plan B.

Here's a link to river levels. might give you a way to meter any trends. If you going to cross the Sandy below CC it seems to be deepest about 20' out or so. It was waist deep for about 10' more then it swallows up. Looks like the flows are up about 6" since then.

T
troutmasta
Blue Fox said:
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to fishing for anything in fresh water. Been hittin the Sandy regularly lately and really trying to learn how to catch coho but I am having no luck. I am looking forward to the winter steelhead because I understand they are much easier to catch. Anyway, I was at the mouth two weeks ago during that first real rain and I had coho running all over me. Literally, they were bumping into my feet in the shallows. I must have seen near five hundred pass right next to me but could not catch one.

I fished Oxbow this last weekend and saw some fish but again could not catch anything. I am using spinners, plugs and spoons. I am impressed with hearing you guys catching fish. Obviously having experience helps. I thought about just waiting for the winter steelhead before I go back out there but then I get the itch.... thought maybe I would try floating eggs this time.

I am throwing my lures in good deep holes, all types of retrieve styles. I use shrimp oil for scent and throw them a bunch of different looks. No deal though. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any of you guys members of the Sandy Steelheaders club?

I'm fairly knew to the coho myself but I've hooked a few in the Cedar Creek area using eggs and a bobber. I used a half ounce bobber with a half ounce wieght 10 pnd leader and an egg loop hook with a cluster of fresh cured eggs. I met a guy just killin em' free drifting eggs. No bobber just a TINY bit of lead and a few eggs in an egg loop. Have yet to see anyone get one on a spinner or spoon. Have seen a few caught on corky and yarn.

B
bigdog
fisch said:
On Sun I decided I'm going to check it out - what the heck?! Met up with fishkiller23 (saw bobberdown and bigdog later). The most fishermen I've ever seen in my life! .

There was no one there to what that place is normally like. The creek side was packed but the rest of the place wasn't near as bad as I have seen it before. Was good to meet you maybe we can get out again sometime soon. Might have to try to get you to show my some of the coastal rivers, I don't know them at all.