Saltwater fishing report (Part #3)

S
sportsmanlio
While surfcasting, we landed three nice perch. First, is a fish that we couldn't ID. I suspected it was a Walleye Surfperch at first, but the last one I caught was solid silver and black...any ideas on what this is?

Regardless, we managed to land one nice big Redtail apiece, including the 1+ pounder below. After that, we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset before heading back to camp to dry off.

The next day, we got up early for a trip with Tidewinds Sportfishing. This was our third trip with them in as many years, and we have never been disappointed. My friend landed 25 fish to my 17. Together, we outfished any 3 or 4 others on the boat. He caught only blues and blacks, but I landed two Red Irish Lords and two Yellowtail Rockfish in addition to those species.

One person used a greenling that they caught to catch a 10+ pound lingcod. The only other species landed was a cabezon, but that fishery is closed now...all in all, it was a good day!

We spent the rest of the evening trying to catch the Striped Surfperch that supposedly couldn't stay away from the right bait. Eventually, I did catch a fat rubbery-lipped specimin that was just shy of a pound. They really are gorgeous fish.

Standing in soppy clothes, smelling like fish, and covered in cuts from the fish, rocks, and hooks, we went to O'Holleran's. This is (arguably) the nicest restaurant in Brookings, and we've gone every year. They judge us for our appearance, but we eat that up almost as heartily as the food, which is top-notch. This was a great end to a great trip. I hope to go twice next year!

Reactions: BankWalker
B
BankWalker
Nice pictures and report. The pictures of the fish look like they would make a cool calender or poster.

D
diggindan
Great report(s) and pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Dan

B
bythesea
nice fish luke,never heard back from ya since last mail.where did ya end up hitting the surf at ?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Just finished your 3part report... Enjoyed it. Thanks for all the photos!

S
sportsmanlio
I totally forgot to get back to you...sorry about that! I don't have Internet on my phone or a laptop, so I had to wait to get back to my office to check OFF. We fished both Chetco River jetties in Brookings, the pier in Brookings, the mouths of Hunter Creek & Meyers Creek, and the rocks and structure in Port Orford.

We had most of our luck from the jetty, but caught a fish or two just about everywhere we tried. We have talked about a trip to Florence/Winchester Bay/Charleston next year, so I may need some pointers :)

C_Run
C_Run
Good reports. I was wondering how you did. Port Orford is great, that's my childhood home and always a pleasure to go back to fish there. That's quite an assortment of fish. I always call it the "captain's platter" when there are that many kinds.

S
sportsmanlio
It was a mixed bag. We had fun fishing, but eating them was almost as enjoyable :D I didn't eat the surfperch, though...my friend got those.

A
AlohaBoy
Nice Catch. I wish I could be lucky in fishing. Good Job!