Salmon River

S
Shadelady
ok so we didn't quite make it out there today. we did however make some stew form the carcass, and set up the smoker and got the big girl cut up.

we're going to go out in the AM for sure though. will update again tomorrow.

MomJames, we / i go nearly daily, you can PM me if you'd like to meet up.

Kodiak i fully indent to try the herring trick tomorrow in the rark i like that idea bette than the corkies. i'll go to spinners after it gets light. also was able to replace my line today- whew, LOL!!

F
Fishtopher
VagrantAngler said:
Got me a sculpin today on a golfball size chunk of roe and a 2/0 owner. Still a bit shocked by that. Only saw 2 hooked and 1 of those landed. Tons of jumpers very few biters. Even tried Kodiaks herring trick. Zippo for the kid...
Back in action on the Clack tomorrow afternoon. I really like the look of the Salmon though and I look forward to fishing here again soon.

Sculpin...its whats for dinner.:whistle:

Making my way down there next week if your game...(redemption)...:)

V
VagrantAngler
I think I've got weds and thrs off this coming week. What day were you thinking of heading down?

S
Shadelady
got out there jsut before light this AM- no bites nothing. a few other folks had a few bite- mostly on corkies. i tried the herring, spinners, quick fish, corkies. got nada.

am busy tonight or i would head back out for the evening session.

according to the Fish and Game guy that does the counting none had been banked.

R
rainman
Got there about 4am or so, got the spot we wanted, fished until 12 noon, right next to the bridge on the southwest side. Saw a couple banked, but those were right at the start of the day. Then nada until about 11 or so, when the guy next to me caught a dandy silver on bobber and roe. Took a quick picture then back in the drink he went. He was very bright and woulda gone 8-10lbs. Saw 1 seal.
Fish were rolling and jumping like mad, people fishing with mainly corkies and spinners and herring I think. I counted 30 plus people fishing, just within sight of our spot. !/2 dozen or so boats went by headed upriver, half of them came back within a few hours.
Nice day for fishing, lousy day for catching.

A
autofisher
I can't wait for the bite to turn on there. I've gotten a few bites here and there, but have either missed the hook set or mistook it for the bottom. I haven't heard about any red hot days over there yet. I think as soon as the hatchery is open and we have one day of nothing but good rain and a solid tide, it's going to be lights out.

S
Shadelady
went down at about 645 and the bite was on all around me for about 1/2 an hour. Bob finally landed one after having missed 9 solid bites this year. he got his on corkies. another guy had one on a spinner, but lost it. several other on'er off'ers on the west side of the bridge. a few landed down there. i personally had one on and lost it due to weak hook set. a guy a know hooked and landed one on sandshrimp and bobber. they were taking jsut about everything. for the Salmon river, i would say it was hot.

am hanging my head in shame over the weak hook set. in my defence i had tossed out near a guy and just before i lost the fish, but after i said fish on he says " you're on my line".... guess he thought he was being funny. anyhow it was enough to lose the fish. he is not getting either cookies or a Christmas card!!

V
VagrantAngler
Going out there this Thursday! Keep the updates coming Lady!:D

K
Kodiak
My brother picked up a 12# chinook on bobber and sandshrimp @ the barn hole about 2 hrs ago, a few silvers showing up at the hatchery.

V
VagrantAngler
That's what I'm talking about. Anyone else gonna be out there this week? Bringing a friend from work who is just getting into the sport. He's hooked into steel with me but nothing landed yet so it should be interesting when he hooks into a pig:)

F
Fishtopher
I might meet ya down there...

S
Shadelady
am going again tomorrow AM. anyone says i am over their line after a fish on is going in....

V
VagrantAngler
You want to meet at 101? I saw the Red Barn when we were driving back Thursday so we could go either spot. I do like the bank access at 101 though.

A
autofisher
There's decent enough access at the Barn hole too. You can actually make it up to some pretty decent water. And if the fish are starting to show up at the Hatchery, that means there should be a pretty good push of them all through out that water. Powerline hole has a couple of good slots too. If you go up past the Barn hole, I'd suggest keeping it small and simple.

V
VagrantAngler
Thanks for the tip brother. What are you doin Thursday?

A
autofisher
Not quite sure. Might be workin. If I'm not, I'm sure I can get a weekday pass from the warden.

S
Shadelady
we've been down most days this weeka nd arent getting any bites or anything. however, a friend was able to get me a couple TCO's so we're going to give those a try. and we're also going to try the eggs from the fish i caught. seems like a lifetime ago that i got that fish.

Kodiak, are you coming back out any time soon?

P
plucas
Alright so I did not get back to post on this site for a few weeks after my trip. I am back in school and have been loaded with work since getting back and have had no time to think:( The trip out their was awesome, beautiful weather and it is an area of the coast that I have not yet been to. Pacific city was a chill place, less tourists than further up north. I did spend some time on the Salmon, go up real early and fished up stream for a little while, no luck. After that I headed back down to the 101 where I was stunned to see about 100 guys lined up on the bank below the bridge combat fishing. I watched for a little while and saw not one fish landed. Not my style of fishing so I moved on (had enough of that on the Kenai). I spent the rest of the time with my lady sipping wine and beer on the beach. I did drive to Cape Meares Lake to see what it was all about but as I was thinking of fly fishing and it was super windy I decided it would be best to not start swinging line in that environment (I am new to fly fishing). All in all it was a good trip, no luck on the water but did plenty of scouting on the Salmon and found some good spots for next time and yet again Oregon surprised me with her beauty. Cheers for all the information Kodiak and the rest of the guys. Hopefully I will catch one soon. Good luck on the water all.

R
rainman
Fished the Salmon yesterday. Not near as many fishing as in previous visits, but still a fair number. Had no problem getting my spot, and that was west of the bridge, on the south side.
Lots of fish jumping and rolling, but it appears they have a common ailment. Lockjaw. Not even 1 take down or drive by. Didn't see a single net fly, and I fished from 7am till about noon.
Me thinks I'll start concentrating on the upper Willie for late season Coho. It's a lot closer than the Salmon(only 10 miles from my house to Buena Vista), and I can not catch just as many fish there. lol

K
Kodiak
This time of year go by the rain. fish when the river level is falling...hit 11 yesterday.:dance: