Salmon River

V
VagrantAngler
Went out this morning and met up with Shadelady, Autofisher, and Kodiak. Shadelady put the wood to a beautiful #25 chromer Chinook. Nothing but a smolt for me today but great to see a fellow OFFer get into a toad:)

S
Shadelady
the fish is on and the skunk is OFF!! whoo hoo. another great big huge thanks to Kodiak and Auto and Vagrant and those other guys who were there. i am curing my eggs for the first time ever!! am so excited and so exhausted! am still muttering "Oh my God" occassionally.

had friends clean the big girl for me and they took pitures, wont have them for a day or 2 i expect.

if i had known baking cookies was the key i'd have done it long ago!!!

much as i'd like to make a more coherent post i dont think i able.

thank you again to all!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Shadelady said:
the fish is on and the skunk is OFF!! whoo hoo. another great big huge thanks to Kodiak and Auto and Vagrant and those other guys who were there. i am curing my eggs for the first time ever!! am so excited and so exhausted! am still muttering "Oh my God" occassionally.

had friends clean the big girl for me and they took pitures, wont have them for a day or 2 i expect.

if i had known baking cookies was the key i'd have done it long ago!!!

much as i'd like to make a more coherent post i dont think i able.

thank you again to all!!

Shadelady;
Hot damn! :yay: Good for you,gal. :dance: That is awesome news to hear. :clap: At least one of the gals here have a notch in their rod,hopefully more will follow soon. You definitely picked a great bunch of fishing buddies to go with.
Again,good for you! :yay::yay::yay:

V
VagrantAngler
Mrs V.A. and I will be back out tomorrow morning for a few. Would love to hook into one of those bad boys I saw rollin all over today.

F
Fishtopher
You guys see more than a few hit the bank, or was this the lucky fish?

Curious to find out what this fish finally hit!:) And if the cookies were good;)....

Big time congrats are in order!

Oh and big time congratulations to Mr and Mrs VagrantAngler!! And good luck in the morning.

Last edited:
S
Shadelady
Rain, thanks, can't tel you how good it felt.

VA- me and my better half will be out there probably as soon as she gets off work in the AM. and after she takes a moment to admire my fish. i am thinking that this "tsunami" will also help puch the fish in.

Fishtopher- we left around 1145, and mine was one of about 3-5 we saw landed. the other were catching on the other sode of the bridge so it was hard to get a solid count. mine bit on a white on white- Kodiak called it a Cop car- the beads are a bit black. Mepps #4 glow in the dark. the bite wa at about 8am so i am not sure how much the glow came into play.

i have called everyone i have ever known to tell them about my fish!!

V
VagrantAngler
I only saw a few landed Chris. They were all NICE fish. I'll try and have a picture of somethin tomorrow. Shade, see you in the morning.
Brian

F
Fishtopher
Good luck

Good luck

VagrantAngler said:
I'll try and have a picture of somethin tomorrow.
Brian

Alright man....Im counting on it.;):lol:

V
VagrantAngler
Might be a sculpin:D

A
autofisher
VagrantAngler said:
Might be a sculpin:D

At least it wasn't my sculpin. We saw a few more banked through out the day. When we left, we headed up and down the river hunting fish. We didn't see nearly as many as was hoped on the car ride over. Headed back down to the 101 after lunch and saw that there were still fish jumping and rolling here and there. Saw a couple more banked later on, but for the most part, there wasn't a lot of action. Shadelady, your friend Ryan hooked into a NIIIIIIIIICE nook. While he was fighting it, the fish somehow snagged itself:lol: Originally, it was hooked in the mouth. Kodiak and I can bot vouch for his story. The fish fought hard and did quite a few flips and somersaults. On one of said flips, the fish spit the hook. When it spit, it didn't spit far enough, or in the right direction(your coice), because when the hook came out of it's mouth, it became lodged directly into the dorsal fin. One of the wierdest things I've ever seen. Anyway, It was great to meet you all. And if the "tsunami" gives you guys a good push, let us know.
Oh and by the way, most of the fish hooked up today off of a smaller white or red spinner. Didn't see one fish brought in with a corkie or yarn.

R
rainman
Tomorrow is the day for me, gonna head out there with a bud of mine who's fished the Salmon quite a few times. Hopefully we will at least hook into one them there toads I been hearing about.
Gonna leave the boat in the garage and hoof it on foot.

And if I see that nice lady passing out chocolate chip cookies, I WILL come over and introduce myself. lol

K
Kodiak
IT was good to meet you all. I also met Shadelady's buddy, Ryan. He is the luckiest and unluckiest kid I've ever met. Poor guy. Gets into a BIIIg buck chinook and the fish starts jumping and flippng and he started calling for help...I grabbed a net headed for the lad, just as I get there the chinook (easily 35..aint no bull) catches mad air. Typically you don't see chinook jump like that unless they are stuck in the belly. This pig was stuck in the mouth, and jumpin like a coho. HE went end over end and it threw the hook out, and got stuck on the dorsal. The kid did the honorable thing and slid the know back hooked chinook into range and I hit the spinner with the net and he said goodbye. It does my heart good to see a young guy like that growing up with strong ethics. Personally I would have netted him and checked his mouth for war wounds then bonked him.

Shadelady congrats on the first nook....Oh my gawd. Just rember to keep your thumb off the spool...OMG..and steer the fish, don't let him steer you...OMG...Don't reel when he's runnin...OMG...And yes thats your fish..OMG! Good Luck, Knock 'em dead!:dance::clap::lol:

S
Shadelady
Oh My Gawd!!

Oh My Gawd!!

Kodiak it was good of you to help Ryan- but fair warnign he's not that honorable. i wont trash him, but i will say keep an eye.

am sorry to say the cookies are all gone- gave the last of them to friends who helped my get my fish cleaned up.

my better half still hasnt made it home yet so i have no idea whats happening out there.

mebbe today i actually go buy some new line... ;)

R
rainman
Looks like I need to re-tie my gear and up the leader test, 12 lb flourocarbon might not hold up to a big 'un.

K
Kodiak
rainman said:
Looks like I need to re-tie my gear and up the leader test, 12 lb flourocarbon might not hold up to a big 'un.

You know that trick you learned at Mill City bridge with the herring this spring? Apply it on the Salmon. It will yield "larger" results;)!

R
rainman
Kodiak said:
You know that trick you learned at Mill City bridge with the herring this spring? Apply it on the Salmon. It will yield "larger" results;)!

What trick was that ?? I talked to quite a few guys there, and got a lot of advice. Can you refresh my memory ?? PM's are gladly received.
BTW, I'm humbled that you remember me.

I
imfishing
Herring Trick??

Herring Trick??

Greetings All,

Just returned from my little fishing spot.

Very nice time.

I would sure like to know a herring trick.

I would definitely apply it to the Salmon River.

I believe in Win/Win though.

Kodiak...

I have considered a purchase of spinners from you.

Maybe something like 2 steel head and 2 salmon.

Or 2 Coho and 2 Chinook.

If I purchase some spinners would I then be worthy of "THE HEARING SECRET".

Are you making spinners right now?

Are you taking orders now?

I could benefit from 16 dollars worth.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
R
rainman
OK, I was reminded of that advice Kodiak, thanks for it again:clap:.
And thanks to the nice guy who did the reminding !!

M
MonMouth James
anyone going out next week that wouldn't mind a tag along?

V
VagrantAngler
Got me a sculpin today on a golfball size chunk of roe and a 2/0 owner. Still a bit shocked by that. Only saw 2 hooked and 1 of those landed. Tons of jumpers very few biters. Even tried Kodiaks herring trick. Zippo for the kid...
Back in action on the Clack tomorrow afternoon. I really like the look of the Salmon though and I look forward to fishing here again soon.