Salmon River (Clackamas County)

F
Fishpdx
I will propably spend thanks giving at whispering woods resort near mt hood, and it's right next to salmon river , is there any fish up there ? I know it connects with sandy river , but is it worth a try? Any regulations I should know about? I'm having a hard time finding it on oregon fishing and wildlife website salmon river shows up but the one in Lincoln county . Is there salmon or steelhead in that river ?

troutdude
troutdude
OFF limits (not open), for any salmon or steelhead fishing. And I believe that it closed, to trout angling, at the end of October. If not, then it's a 2 trout per day limit; above Final Falls.

F
Fishpdx
troutdude;n600230 said:
OFF limits (not open), for any salmon or steelhead fishing. And I believe that it closed, to trout angling, at the end of October. If not, then it's a 2 trout per day limit; above Final Falls.

Okay cool, I will call oregon department of fish and wildlife to ask about trout fishing. but just curious if salmon or steelhead make it there

S
sapo
I'm pretty sure it's closed to all fishing now, but when it's open there is some decent trout/whitefish and it does have salmon but you can't fish for them

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Salmon River used to be one of my favorite steelhead rivers. The only place you can fish now is above Final Fall, which is quite a ways up river on the Salmon River trail. If you get a chance and want to see some out standing scenery drive up to the bridge by the Green Canyon camp ground and hike that trail. That area is beautiful, great old growth trees and fantastic river views. Worth the hike if you want to see big trees and wild river.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
from the perm. regs: it was open above Final Falls for trout but only until October 31. Check the Willamette Zone Regs for when Streams are open (May 22-Oct 31), then the Exceptions for the Salmon River where it instructs that when trout are open, you can retain 2 above Final Falls. The Exceptions are where you would learn if there was any salmon or steelhead fishing in the Salmon River, there is none. cheers, roger

P
pinstriper
Carp;n600231 said:
Okay cool, I will call oregon department of fish and wildlife to ask about trout fishing. but just curious if salmon or steelhead make it there

Is there some reason the regs don't answer this for you ? I mean, this one is not so tricky where it changes depending on where you are on the river.

D
DrTheopolis
rogerdodger;n600242 said:
if there was any salmon or steelhead fishing in the Salmon River, there is none. cheers, roger

Back in the early 90's, when there was still a dam on the Sandy, the used to stock the heck out of the Salmon with summer steelhead. I miss those days, since that was pretty much shooting fish in a barrel.