Salmon River (coastal?) help!!!

I
Ilv2fish
Hi Everyone!! New to the board trying to do my own research from MILES away (have to love google earth, youtube, and websites!!! Im going to be in Oregon for Business and LOVE drift fishing for salmon(Im from Wyoming). I have been researching EVERY River.. and wow there are a lot. I will be there Oct 3rd and 4th so I have narrowed my search to the Salmon River (or maybe Siuslaw). I noticed there seems to be a common theme that I need to hope for some rain? I usually like to drift fish but after last time by riggings Idaho.. I might have to learn how to use a bobber because I went through a LOT of gear! :)

Anyway, As always I don't expect anyone to give up there spots.. but I need just a little help of the stretches of river I can fish and how to get there.. I have never even been to these arrears!! (Oh and funds are really tight right now so I will be bank fishing) still better than nothing right?!!! Anyway, Is there a place I can camp one night? Im sure there are main holes but Im willing to walk and try spots that maybe are not as popular. If everyone thinks this isn't the place the first part of Oct please share your opinion so I can do some research. Thanks for any info someone is willing to share with a good ole boy from Wyoming who is courteous and fun to fish with and around!!!

S
Steelheader4Life
Starting on September 1st the Salmon River is restricted to bobber or spinner with a single point hook (no drift fishing or plunking). It's a relatively small river and it's usually pretty good and crowded in October. I for one only fish it during the next month or so while I wait for some rain (don't tell anyone but I landed my first fall fish last weekend above tidewater ;)) Just look for other rigs and go join the crowds, most of the time you won't find any water worth fishing with no one there during the time you will be here.

I
Ilv2fish
OHH that's good to know!! I have never tried the bobber version.. I did buy one the other day though! Thanks for letting me know that. (little sad though because I do love drift fishing. Is there another stream like trask.. Wilson.. ect that would be good that time of year that I could drift?(and just bank fish?)

S
Steelheader4Life
Drift fishing can be productive but bobber fishing is king on many of the coastal rivers around here. Yes the Trask, Wilson, Siletz, Nestucca, Alsea, Nehalem, and the Kilchis just to name a few can be damn good at times. The determining factor will be if we get any substantial rain by the first part of October. If the rivers are still low by the time October rolls around then tide water would be your best bet. Not to say that some fish won't move into the river regardless without rain, but it really starts happening after the river raises at least a foot.

F
fishtales
Steelheader4Life said:
Starting on September 1st the Salmon River is restricted to bobber or spinner with a single point hook (no drift fishing or plunking). It's a relatively small river and it's usually pretty good and crowded in October. I for one only fish it during the next month or so while I wait for some rain (don't tell anyone but I landed my first fall fish last weekend above tidewater ;)) Just look for other rigs and go join the crowds, most of the time you won't find any water worth fishing with no one there during the time you will be here.

Yes, they changed the regs on that river this year.

S
Steelheader4Life
fishtales said:
Yes, they changed the regs on that river this year.

It was actually like that last year as well. I wouldn't have fished there otherwise!!

D
DrTheopolis
The Trask is always a good bet, but like the Salmon, you won't have it to yourself. I believe there's gear restrictions on certain sections here, as well.

Access to the Salmon is pretty well covered via Hwy 18.

And like has been accurately mentioned, rivers will need to rise about 1-1.5 feet from there current levels before the bulk of fish will come above tidewater. And unfortunately, tidewater access can be pretty hard to come by on most coastal streams.

I
Ilv2fish
Why did they Change it to bobber and no drift fishing ? Are all the rivers like that noir just the salmon.. I think it's time for me to learn how to use a bobber.. Any help with that?

S
Steelheader4Life
Ilv2fish said:
Why did they Change it to bobber and no drift fishing ? Are all the rivers like that noir just the salmon.. I think it's time for me to learn how to use a bobber.. Any help with that?

They did it because of all the flossers/snaggers keeping illegal hooked fish. It used to be a zoo down there but it cleaned up a lot last fall so hopefully it will stay that way. The only other river I know of to have bobber only regs is the Trask and that is only in a certain section during a certain time of year. You will just have to brush up on that before heading out. A bobber set up is pretty simple. I like to run 50lb braided line, slide a bobber stop on it followed by a bead, then your bobber, and another bead to a snap swivel. Run a 24-36 inch leader off of that and clip on the desired amount of weight to the swivel. I run anywhere from 1/2 ounce all the way up to 2 or 3 ounces if needed. It all depends on the water, lower water and I go with smaller gear and bigger gear in the higher water.

I
Ilv2fish
Thanks for that.. I'm going to go try it out this weekend in a river by me to practice! Man I am soooo excited to go to the coast a try for a salmon!

S
Steelheader4Life
Ilv2fish said:
Thanks for that.. I'm going to go try it out this weekend in a river by me to practice! Man I am soooo excited to go to the coast a try for a salmon!
I guess I should also add that if you are using a 1 oz bobber you will need a 1 oz weight for it to perform correctly. You can also slide the bobber stop up and down your main line to fish different depths. I try to keep my offering about 2-3 feet off the bottom but I've seen people hook up fishing 5 feet deep in a 12 feet deep hole so you will have to play around with your depth which is the most important thing when bobber fishing.

I
Ilv2fish
thanks Steelheader.... What rivers would you recommend for that first week of October? Im able to driver to about any river for those days.

S
Steelheader4Life
The Salmon is probably your best bet if we don't get much rain by then. It is a smaller system and the fish will move into the river regardless in the next couple of weeks. It has the earliest run of fall fish in this area. I religiously fish the Nestucca and without any good rain it will be a tide water show over there during that time. Just got to Pacific City and throw spinners or bobber and bait from the bank. Don't be afraid to ask people what they are using, how deep they are fishing, etc. Most people are very willing to give advice.

I
Ilv2fish
Sorry to keep bothering you.. where is the "Red Barn Hole" located on highway 18?

S
Steelheader4Life
Ilv2fish said:
Sorry to keep bothering you.. where is the "Red Barn Hole" located on highway 18?

No Problem man! The barn hole is actually only accessible by boat. Right below the barn hole is the forestry hole which is open to the public. Your best bet would be to start around the hatchery and ask around about other spots. It can be kind of tricky to explain. One way to go about would be to find where cars are parked along the river and go from there. The salmon is small and you can always walk up or down the river looking for some secluded water but if the water levels are still low the fish will only be holding in the deeper/faster water.