Running under I5 bridge on Willamette in Eugene

E
eugene1
Has anyone done it this year? I was out boating and wanted to go through but there were some trees partially obstructing the boat channel under the temporary bridge. We decided to stay above.

Does anyone know if the workers there can cut those trees out of the channel and if so, who I can contact? I wish they were done with that project, but at least it provides needed local construction jobs to those guys.

thanks,

J
JeannaJigs
Last year it was closed pretty much all summer, they just don't want to expend the time and money to make it a safe passage, so the solution is to just keep it closed. Which blows for fisherman. I like the d street to Alton baker stretch of river, but it looks like i'll be doing AB to beltline this summer, not a great stretch but there's some good holes and where else can i take my boat out less than a mile from home? that part of it is sweet. As far as contacting someone, I'm not sure who you would contact, it's not the construction companies responsibility, maybe the city of springfield? I don't even know.

E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
Last year it was closed pretty much all summer, they just don't want to expend the time and money to make it a safe passage, so the solution is to just keep it closed. Which blows for fisherman. I like the d street to Alton baker stretch of river, but it looks like i'll be doing AB to beltline this summer, not a great stretch but there's some good holes and where else can i take my boat out less than a mile from home? that part of it is sweet. As far as contacting someone, I'm not sure who you would contact, it's not the construction companies responsibility, maybe the city of springfield? I don't even know.

Thanks Jeanna,

Wasn't it open to boats last year but closed to tubes and other float toys the college kids use? I'm not sure as I didn't want to take my old prop boat down there last year anyway. I know I saw my friend Buck go down it on several occasions with his drifter, but I can't seem to find him online and I haven't seen him on the water this year.

It would be good to be able to hit different sections of the river without trailering the rig around. My buddy saw a Springfield rescue boat on the Willamette in Eugene yesterday, so I suspect the channel is open, but it didn't look very friendly with the logs and branches sticking out at head height cutting off about half the channel.

I'll call around tomorrow and update the post with any results,

E
eugene1
Jigs, for some reason I thought you lived West of Eug? Sounds like you're even closer to the river than me, it's a good place.

J
JeannaJigs
It was open early in the season when it shouldn't have been, and then it was shut down to all boats and floatables. Some people still went through it because they couldn't read or didn't care but it was pretty sketchy. I went and checked it out early in the season and decided I didn't want to run it with the debris.

Yeah I live by north Eugene high school, its a quick trip down to the river. Used to store my boat at the storage on river ave, about 1/4 mile from the river at belt line.

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
Jigs, for some reason I thought you lived West of Eug? Sounds like you're even closer to the river than me, it's a good place.

If you do decide to run it, Play the safe game through it! And i would only run it at a certain level to, or you may say hi to come rock shelves. Im sure up stream through it wouldn't be so bad, but down streamn through it might be different in a jet. Good luck if you do, and i don't want to see you on the news!! If you feel sketchy about it, don't do it. Follow your gut instinct!! Don't let your mind play the games :eek:

T
TTFishon
The State owns I-5 so I'd call ODOT. I'll see if I can get the number for you today.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Ok, I called the odot construction manager. He was out, so I left a message with his secretary. She said he'll call me back.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
The State owns I-5 so I'd call ODOT. I'll see if I can get the number for you today.

D'oh! Obvious answer that I didn't think of lol. Thanks Mr. ODOT.

E
eugene1
John called back. He said crews do cut and pull debris out of the boat channel regularly with jet boats, but the river has to be below 13 feet. He said they will get to it this week. Seemed like a nice guy.

E
eugene1
rippin fish lips said:
If you do decide to run it, Play the safe game through it! And i would only run it at a certain level to, or you may say hi to come rock shelves. Im sure up stream through it wouldn't be so bad, but down streamn through it might be different in a jet. Good luck if you do, and i don't want to see you on the news!! If you feel sketchy about it, don't do it. Follow your gut instinct!! Don't let your mind play the games :eek:

Thanks, rippin.

That's usually how I roll. We went down to it and saw a bunch of logs and trees hung up on the bridge supports leaving only about half of the channel available to boats. Looked like bad times if we would have gotten pushed laterally into them. Wish I had a pic but not much extra time when you're running rapids on a boat.

Hopefully they can get that debris removed this week and we can go up and down again.

Unfortunately, the manager didn't tell me when they would do it. I'd be interested to see them doing that dangerous work. The guy on the motor must be pretty good to hold them steady enough for another guy to use a chainsaw on a bucking boat.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
D'oh! Obvious answer that I didn't think of lol. Thanks Mr. ODOT.

Your welcome. Couldn't get a number for you guys because the manager was off today but it looks like Eugene1 got a hold of the right guy.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
Your welcome. Couldn't get a number for you guys because the manager was off today but it looks like Eugene1 got a hold of the right guy.

Likely story slacker.