Rogue River before the storm

P
Phil_Bud
Saw a bit of a slower plug bite prior to the big storm moving in. I took Slate and Aja out for two days and we had better success fishing with bait. Both side drifting and bobber fishing were successful techniques. Also caught a bunch of half pounders and about 5 Cutt Throat over 2 lbs. (All released Unharmed)
The river levels are a bit high as of today 11/21 but by friday we should be seeing some of the best fishing of the year. Stay tuned!

• SLATE side drift.jpg
  • SLATE fish 2.jpg
  • Nice HENNY AJA.jpg
  • fish 1 AJA.jpg
  • CUTTY.jpg
  • halfie.jpg
R
rippin fish lips
Nice too see the half pounder get put up! Always loved those lil guys (even tho i have not caught one).

Very nice cutties as well. Thanks for sharing Phill.

O
OnTheDrop
I'd book a trip with you just to hook half pounders/ SRCS all day. Good job.

F
fredaevans
Looking at the Dodge Bridge river gauge was an eye-opener. I've seen steep rises before but never one straight up. River doubled in flow in under 2 hours. Dropped back now and leveled off but still a heck of a lot of water coming down stream.

P
Phil_Bud
rippin fish lips said:
Nice too see the half pounder get put up! Always loved those lil guys (even tho i have not caught one).

Very nice cutties as well. Thanks for sharing Phill.
No problem buddy! Glad you liked them!

P
Phil_Bud
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I'd book a trip with you just to hook half pounders/ SRCS all day. Good job.
Give me a call or email me and we'll get after it. I have all this week open!

P
Phil_Bud
fredaevans said:
Looking at the Dodge Bridge river gauge was an eye-opener. I've seen steep rises before but never one straight up. River doubled in flow in under 2 hours. Dropped back now and leveled off but still a heck of a lot of water coming down stream.
Yea gotta love it. They've been letting out 2500 at the hatchery for the past week.

F
fredaevans
Another series of storms coming in Wednesday through the weekend (4 of them back to back). Should/could get interesting again. Out yesterday giving a young fellow spey casting lessons. River at 3000 but water otherwise was 'perfect.' Always bring at least 4 rods rigged differently and start with a full floater, then to a Scandi, then to, etc. Last will be a Skagit Head with a full on sink tip. (NEVER EVER! Start someone out with one of those!!) and Nate was a natural. When I handed him the 525 grain Skagit + #3 sink tip he was in 'Hog Heaven.' Didn't take him 5 minutes before he had close to 100' of line/head/etc. off the reel. With a 12'3" 8wt (Anderson) that's a hell of a cast for anyone.

That aside, a question about 'half pounders.' Not heard of them being much further up stream than Rainie Falls. How far up river do these little buggers actually go?

Fred

Reactions: steelhead_slayer
C
Chiloquin
fredaevans said:
Another series of storms coming in Wednesday through the weekend (4 of them back to back). Should/could get interesting again. Out yesterday giving a young fellow spey casting lessons. River at 3000 but water otherwise was 'perfect.' Always bring at least 4 rods rigged differently and start with a full floater, then to a Scandi, then to, etc. Last will be a Skagit Head with a full on sink tip. (NEVER EVER! Start someone out with one of those!!) and Nate was a natural. When I handed him the 525 grain Skagit + #3 sink tip he was in 'Hog Heaven.' Didn't take him 5 minutes before he had close to 100' of line/head/etc. off the reel. With a 12'3" 8wt (Anderson) that's a hell of a cast for anyone.

That aside, a question about 'half pounders.' Not heard of them being much further up stream than Rainie Falls. How far up river do these little buggers actually go?

Fred

Thanks for the lessons Fred, Mabye we can take the boat down, when the river is on the drop after these storms! Nate

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice work. Looks like a good day

F
fredaevans
Chiloquin said:
Thanks for the lessons Fred, Mabye we can take the boat down, when the river is on the drop after these storms! Nate

Works for me Nate! Doubt it will be this week by what I'm looking at out the window at the moment. Winds really blowing at the moment and the two guys (carpenters) working next door finally thought the better of it and got off the roof! (Putting down roof stringers.) They were 'trying' to put up 2 x 12 stringers and so much 'sail area' on one of those things I have been waiting for the sound of an ambulance.

And welcome to the Board!!
Fred