Reel for my 8wt

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Echo Ion reel. The run $80, they're fairly light weight, good drag, large arbor, and well made. The guys at Echo know their stuff.

You don't NEED a super expensive reel, especially when you're dealing with heavier tippets. The best part of higher end reels is their lightness - lighter weight = less fatigue as the day wears on. The Echo is a pretty light reel for it's size.

One thing I would say though - if you don't already have a line - you're better off springing for a higher end line than you are for more expensive reel - the better line will make fishing so much nicer. Scientific Angler's Mastery - or better yet one of their Sharkskin lines would be good. An Airflo Ridge would also be good. The Sharkskin lines run $99, the Airflo and the Mastery lines should be ~$80 or less.

If you're spending $200 - you can get the Echo Ion reel, a Sharkskin line, and backing and you should still have lunch money left over.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i heard sharkskin collects dirt really fast and i wouldn't pay 1o0 bucks for it id get this line http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104338980;cat105553080 its what bigsteel has and ive casted it before,flings heavy nymphs and it has shooting head so you could swing heavy flies like leeches etc with ease and it's cheaper then sharkskin also, ross reels are another line of reel to look into alongside lamson. i love the medium priced ross reels, nice and light with a very smooth drag and a good look also thats probably what im getting next is a ross.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The Sharkskin doesn't collect dirt any faster than any other fly line (it also doesn't sand down your guides like some people claimed it would). What it does do, is shoot VERY well, and float higher than other lines. It's a really good line. If you're afraid of the sharkskin - they have another textured line that is more golf-ball like with micro dots on the surface, which also shoots/floats better than standard lines.

People were worried about the same things when Airflo came out with the Ridge lines - but their fears were unfounded.

The Triangle Tapers from Wulff are good - but I'd rather have one of the SA lines. Not to mention - the thicker, longer belly of a more traditional tapered weight forward line will do better when chucking the heavy stuff. The triangle taper is pretty much the forward end of a double taper line welded to a thin running line. Better for trout/panfish applications where delicacy is needed. A thicker, heavier belly will be better for heavy flies you'd be tossing on an 8wt.

B
bigsteel
for a reel get an orvis battenkill,hands down best reel i have used...for fly line get yourself a simple scientific anglers floating wf line...i have used the sharkskin and the sound is annoying when casting all day.

A
alm21
Thanks for all the great recommendations everyone! You definitely gave me some food for thought and the results are in. This may seem off topic at first. Yesterday, my son and I hit the road for a coastal tour (after sleeping in a bit – we weren’t in a rush). I haven’t been to very many coastal rivers let alone target Chinook. So, I told my son that we’d probably do more driving than fishing yesterday and we certainly did. But that was okay as it was more about getting to see some territory. We headed out hwy 18 and then jumped on 22 going up to Cedar Creek Hatchery off of Three Rivers. Checked out some fish at the hatchery and scoped the waters of Three Rivers but my son wasn’t into fishing it as the water was low (he’s 10 and still working on techniques – including fishing snaggy waters). We cruised into Hebo, picked up some shrimp and decided to check the tidewater of the Nestucca. There was almost no one down there fishing and probably for good reason. Only the seals were getting into fish where we were. Wanting to explore some more, we picked up and headed South to the Little Nestucca. Pulling in at the 101 bridge boat ramp, we fished there for about an hour (saw one caught, one lost and two jacks on the bank). More people than fish from what I saw. Running out of time, it was time to head towards home. I also wanted to see the Salmon River so we headed South to jump back onto hwy 18. There was no shortage of people of the Salmon. No time to stop but it did give me a chance to see the River and familiarize myself with some key landmarks including the milepost markers referenced in the regulations. Jamming back West (here’s where I get back on topic), we made a stop to meet with Randy to pick up the Okuma 7/8wt reel he OFFered up. It was hard to beat a deal for $80 that gave me a reel and two spare spools (including boxes/papers). I think Randy used the reel only one time. Even if he used it more often, I understand he’s one to keep his gear in top shape. So, DONE DEAL! Randy really seems like a stand up guy and it was a pleasure to meet him. Plus, it was a great excuse to go on a coastal tour to learn more about the fishing opportunities in our great state. Now, the next challenge, figuring out what line to rig up! GungasUncle and Bigsteel bring up some interesting considerations. :think:

Last edited:
M
markasd
I'm going to chime in here, I love the Lefty Kreh floating WF.
I had the SA floating WF and liked it as well... wanted to try something else and the Lefty Kreh line was suggested, I don't notice any difference.
There are so many lines to choose from, I think as long as you get WF you'll be alright.

A
alm21
markasd said:
I'm going to chime in here, I love the Lefty Kreh floating WF.
I had the SA floating WF and liked it as well... wanted to try something else and the Lefty Kreh line was suggested, I don't notice any difference.
There are so many lines to choose from, I think as long as you get WF you'll be alright.

Thanks, without any experience in this arena, I like to use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. :D

S
Sinkline
If any of you folks should run into alm21 on the river (or invite him to go fish) I am sure you will never meet a more friendly and humble person. It was a pleasure meeting him and his polite and energetic young son.

Best of luck with your efforts learning fly fishing for salmon & steelhead!

Randy

Reactions: OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
I agree with the noise the sharkskin makes...it casts great, and I guess you could get used to the sound, but there definitely are other lines just as good...IMO..

Randy, alm21 sounds like a nice fella.....your description of him matches you also. Good job with the deal you gave him on the reel....and my rod is still catching me tons of fishys.....

S
Sinkline
lilsalmon said:
I agree with the noise the sharkskin makes...it casts great, and I guess you could get used to the sound, but there definitely are other lines just as good...IMO..

Randy, alm21 sounds like a nice fella.....your description of him matches you also. Good job with the deal you gave him on the reel....and my rod is still catching me tons of fishys.....

Very kind of you..., but that is what I have come to expect from you. :cool:

Randy

A
alm21
Sinkline said:
If any of you folks should run into alm21 on the river (or invite him to go fish) I am sure you will never meet a more friendly and humble person. It was a pleasure meeting him and his polite and energetic young son.

Best of luck with your efforts learning fly fishing for salmon & steelhead!

Randy

Thank you Randy, the feeling is mutual. There's some great people here and it's nice to have an opportunity to meet up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I agree about line quality. I took five of my reels to a local fly shop and had them upgrade all my lines....huge difference on both my high end and medium end rods. All of them cast better and fished easier after the new lines were installed. Great advice GU.

GungasUncle said:
Echo Ion reel. The run $80, they're fairly light weight, good drag, large arbor, and well made. The guys at Echo know their stuff.

You don't NEED a super expensive reel, especially when you're dealing with heavier tippets. The best part of higher end reels is their lightness - lighter weight = less fatigue as the day wears on. The Echo is a pretty light reel for it's size.

One thing I would say though - if you don't already have a line - you're better off springing for a higher end line than you are for more expensive reel - the better line will make fishing so much nicer. Scientific Angler's Mastery - or better yet one of their Sharkskin lines would be good. An Airflo Ridge would also be good. The Sharkskin lines run $99, the Airflo and the Mastery lines should be ~$80 or less.

If you're spending $200 - you can get the Echo Ion reel, a Sharkskin line, and backing and you should still have lunch money left over.