Reel for my 8wt

A
alm21
I have an 8wt Reddington that I've been sitting on for some time now. With winter steelhead coming around, I want to take the leap to the fly (so much to learn). Admittedly, I am a little overwhelmed with reel choices. With a budget up to $200, can anyone suggest an entry level brand or model that is good for steelheading (rivers to small creeks)? Hoping I can at least narrow down the options.

M
mlw
Lamson Konic 4 - well made, great drag.

L
Lamzy
I would recomend Hardy/Grey reels.
I have two of them I purchased off of Ebay. Each have a nice zipper pouch that hold the reel and 3 extra spools With this setup you have 4 reels in one.
They have enough weight to ballance a long and or heavy pole.
Changing spools takes maybe one min to change from one weight or type.
Kiltedbob

that

W
waco
I dont think that having an expensive reel it's a factor on catching fish!!! (But thats just me and if I would have the money would buy one) I have a set up that I pay $100 for it, still have it (over a year now)and landed a lot of fish with it, even big springers!!

S
Sinkline
EDIT: Reel sold.

Last edited:
S
skunk
That's a good deal Randy! I was going to recommend the okuma integrity. Wholesale sports (or whatever it is now) on 82nd in portland has them from about $50 for the 5/6 to $58 for the 10/11. So an 8/9 would be in the middle. Just got one to replace a reel I had and it'll be fine for steel and nooks.

F
fish4life
I have a okuma integrity and the drag is horrible on mine. Feel like you are going to break fish off then all of a sudden its like there is no drag at all. But I have a loomis adventure seven that I have been very pleased with and I believe it was $99.

brandon4455
brandon4455
although reels are not as important as a rod i would go with a higher end one with your budget, i agree with mlw i have heard great things about the lamson konic but if you want to save money a pflueger medalist reel would be a good choice. they are solid and dependable and plus they cost virtually nothing, that was my 1st fly reel, going to buy myself 1 for my 8 and another for my 4 once i get the extra cash

Last edited:
S
Sinkline
brandon4455 said:
although reels are not as important as a rod i would go with a higher end one with your budget, i agree with mlw i have heard great things about the lamson konic but if you want to save money a pflueger medalist reel would be a good choice. they are solid and dependable and plus they cost virtually nothing, that was my 1st fly reel, going to buy myself 1 for my 8 and another for my 4 once i get the extra cash

That old Pflueger has probably landed about evey fish that can be caught on a fly! Good choice of a budget reel for sure.

Randy

A
alm21
I thought I would get a lot of great recommendations and sure enough OFF’rs came through! I didn’t expect so many positive recommendations for lower cost reels. Great to hear! This gives me some great options to look into. I like the idea of having an extra spool. Drag and durability are key considerations too.

O
OnTheFly
Pfluegers are ok and I own two of them but they are the larger models for bigger fish. The modern Pflueger models are built the way reels should be so you can actually palm the reel. The earlier designs had the spools set inside the reel frame and the only way you could slow a big fish down with your hand was to risk a broken thumb from the handle. Drag systems are important, not so much as to be able to be tightened, but they must have the ability to allow free movement from the spool is if there were no drag at all. If you are using a 6X tippet or lighter you will want your reel to give line to a hard striking fish. Most Pfluegers do not allow this therefore I believe losing fish can be possible. Another thing about these reels is that they are so cheap that if something goes wrong just go buy a new one. Most mid to higher end reels come with lifetime warrantys and parts are replaced for free.

This is only my personal opinion but I've worked all my life with hand tools and the best tools last longer and do a better job.

M
Markcanby
Look up River Traditions they sell a line of reels for 40-70. Great look with a very smooth drag. Only reel I will buy from now on.

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:
This is only my personal opinion but I've worked all my life with hand tools and the best tools last longer and do a better job.

I have seen your fly reel but not you power tools. Does your cordless drill look like this one.

• drill.jpg
W
waco
:lol: :lol:

A
alm21
Markcanby said:
I have seen your fly reel but not you power tools. Does your cordless drill look like this one.

Now that meets my durability criteria!

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
Very funny Mark.....very funny but don't you think this is even before my time? Heck I don't even see where to insert the battery pack.:think:

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have that same rod and I have an STH on it with a floating and sinking cassette. I like it and would recommend it but not as my first choice. I have two Lamson's on 4 wts and they are my favorite reels. That said, the reel does nothing more than hold line unless you are using your drag so if you want to save some money I love my Okuma reels (I have one on a 6wt and another for an 8wt). They have a solid drag but they are a little more heavy than the Lamson.

Recommendation:

Buy the Lamson if you're OK spending the money...you won't be disappointed.

Buy the Okuma if you'd rather spend $50...you'll still be happy with it.

G
GDBrown
Randy's deal on the Okuma SLV sounds good to me! If you have an 8wt you are obviously after big fish and big fish require a great drag system or they will break you OFF every time. With most trout you can handle the line by stripping it in but big fish tend to RUN and when they do you must be able to let them run without having to feed line out by hand. Many trout fishermen loose their first few steelhead or coho because they have not learned to get the fish onto the reel quickly.

Just my thoughts,

GD

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:
Very funny Mark.....very funny but don't you think this is even before my time? Heck I don't even see where to insert the battery pack.:think:

I think it was made about the same time as that Medalist you use on you 7wt.