Razor clams in Newport?

C
CoastieFlo
Ok Newport Clams-

Razors: are found on the north side of the north jetty as mentioned (this is common on most jetties by the way), also found at Agate Beach north of town just south of Yaquina Head. But a very low tide is about the only time you can find them, and also watch what the surf conditions are a few days before. With heavy surf, even if its a -2.0 tide, the razors are going to be deeper and not show very much.

Cockles: Around the big green LNG tank is a good spot, as is the flats just up bay of the HMSC. Cockles tend to aggregate where fresh water comes into bays btw (along the little streams and rivulets that you can see at a low tide are good places to start).

Gapers: are pretty easy to find on a -1.0 tide or lower, west of the 101 bridge (walk out to the beds of eelgrass near the river channel and look for big shows), also some right under the bridge along the supports, and some mixed in with cockles up bay of HMSC. If you have a boat, the south side of the breakwater by the commercial boats is LOADED with gapers but you need about a -1.0 tide.

Softshells: are higher up bay in less saline water, like 5 miles up. They tend to be pretty small in that bay (as opposed to Coos Bay, Gardiner-Reedsport, and Siuslaw where they are much larger).

Butter/Martha Washington: are scattered on the flats up bay of HMSC, sometimes you will find big ones in amongst cockle beds.

hope that helps, I have quite a bit of experience with clamming Yaq Bay.

G
gmcnair
juggernaut506 said:
I've never gotten a razor clam in Newport. Most people I know who do it a lot say you have to go north of Tillamook to get them. If you just want a lot of clams the best place is Bandon.

We hit Bandon hard last year and it was nothing to brag about. Lots of stomping and a half dozen clams if you were lucky.

I just read a sign saying the razor clams around Coos Bay have the toxic stuff in them. We will have some good claming tides at the end of this month.

U
ulitaco
redsox0407 said:
Heading over to Newport today to get some clams. I've, in the past, got the eastern soft shells right there at the science center then go to seal rock for some muscles. I was wondering if anyone has ever got razors in or around Newport and if so where? I know the ODFG website says North and South beach and Agate has some, just wondering if anyone has ever tried there and if its worth the effort. I appreciate any and all responses, thanxs.
Hello, did you ever find out this information? if so can you pass it on. Trying to go razor clamming myself further south since the northern beaches are currently closed now.

U
ulitaco
CoastieFlo said:
Ok Newport Clams-

Razors: are found on the north side of the north jetty as mentioned (this is common on most jetties by the way), also found at Agate Beach north of town just south of Yaquina Head. But a very low tide is about the only time you can find them, and also watch what the surf conditions are a few days before. With heavy surf, even if its a -2.0 tide, the razors are going to be deeper and not show very much.

Cockles: Around the big green LNG tank is a good spot, as is the flats just up bay of the HMSC. Cockles tend to aggregate where fresh water comes into bays btw (along the little streams and rivulets that you can see at a low tide are good places to start).

Gapers: are pretty easy to find on a -1.0 tide or lower, west of the 101 bridge (walk out to the beds of eelgrass near the river channel and look for big shows), also some right under the bridge along the supports, and some mixed in with cockles up bay of HMSC. If you have a boat, the south side of the breakwater by the commercial boats is LOADED with gapers but you need about a -1.0 tide.

Softshells: are higher up bay in less saline water, like 5 miles up. They tend to be pretty small in that bay (as opposed to Coos Bay, Gardiner-Reedsport, and Siuslaw where they are much larger).

Butter/Martha Washington: are scattered on the flats up bay of HMSC, sometimes you will find big ones in amongst cockle beds.

hope that helps, I have quite a bit of experience with clamming Yaq Bay.
do you happen to have an address that would lead me right to a parking area close to the razor clams? I have never been to newport so dont exactly know what someone is talking about when they say north jetty.