Razor clams and sunshine

Irishrover
Irishrover
What a great couple of days. The weather here in Warrenton has been fantastic. There is an abundance of sunshine and very little wind. Now couple that with a great afternoon claming tide and an open seaon on razor clams and you have the makings for a good time. We went up to Long Beach at about 4:30 pm on Friday and Saturday. Both days limits came easy, and both days we watched the sun sink down into the ocean. Nothing like being on the beach in the salt air and watching that sun go down along with having a limit of razor clams. On Saturday we met a group of friends and ended the dig with a tailgate picnic, beer smoked salmon and other good food. When the sun went down it cooled off and the day came to an end. If you get the opportunity hit the beach and bring home some of those tasty razors!

J
JeannaJigs
Never been clamming, always wanted to though as I love me some clams. I'll have to try it sometime!

W
waco
Sounds fun and yummy. Now that I live here in Tillamook I have to go clamming!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like a fantastic time! I just can't bring myself to put one of those lil critters in my mouth...:blushing:

Irishrover
Irishrover
waco said:
Sounds fun and yummy. Now that I live here in Tillamook I have to go clamming!

If you go up to Garabaldi and out by the Coast Guard pier you'll find steamers, cockels and an assortment of other clams. Take a rake and rake through the rocks and sand. For razor clams drive up to Gerhart and hit the beach at low tide. There are sure lots of fun things to do down here at the coast. I hope you enjoy the Tillamook area. I need to take some of the grandkids to that air museum it's really neat.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we have been hoping to find some razor clams here off Florence, there are always fresh razor shells washed up on the beach, but so far we have not located the live ones at very low tides...

W
waco
Never been at the air museum either! I need to quit fishing so I can go do more stuff! :harhar:

Irishrover
Irishrover
rogerdodger said:
we have been hoping to find some razor clams here off Florence, there are always fresh razor shells washed up on the beach, but so far we have not located the live ones at very low tides...

Finding shell sure would seem like a good indicator that they are their somewhere. I understand that about 95% of the razor clams are caught on the Clatsop County beaches. I used to look for them down in the Newport area but never had any luck.

J
JeannaJigs
I see people digging for clams (I'm assuming?) along the mudflats near the siuslaw jetties, but I have no idea what they're actually finding in there.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
I see people digging for clams (I'm assuming?) along the mudflats near the siuslaw jetties, but I have no idea what they're actually finding in there.

yeah, we saw some folks down there with a gun which usually means razors but maybe it was sand shrimp they were after? IDK.

J
JeannaJigs
Likely pumping sandshrimp this time of year, big demand in eugene and Springfield for them right now. I see people all the time though with shovel looking things though over there. I need to get more involved in shell fish, they're all so tasty. Except sand shrimp. And oysters.