Prime time steelhead fishin?

E
Eskimo
When do you think is prime time fishing after some big rain. I know that the recent storms have a lot of the rip up and blow out, but when after that point does it become "ideal" steelhead water?

I went to the hatchery last Thursday with a friend. We fished all day but only caught fish right before/into dark. We each hooked up with decent sized hatchery summers within a half hour. I think mine was far too gone and the meat looked terrible. :think:

We use spoons a lot here and have had good success last year but this year not so much. We tried bluefoxes, little cleos and krocadiles. I only ever caught one on fox spinners and the last 3 all hooked with krocadiles. I seen a guy there last weekened with spoons come up to where I was fishing and hooked into 2 but never got solid hookups with some sort of "Little cleo" what colors catch more fish this time of year.

E
eat, sleep, fish
After a big rain it varies a lot on the system and the section. Up by the hatchery it's still pretty early for winters. and a little late for summers. There are definitely both runs up there though. Things should start to pick up in a couple of weeks, especially if we get another good shot of rain.

For little cleos just about any color will work, but silver/blue is my favorite and seems to be the most popular. On cloudy days don't forget gold or copper.

E
Eskimo
Had the day off today so I took my buddy up to the hatchery for a BBQ and some fishin' and we actually caught some fish today.

Both of us hooked hatchery hens, thats right 2 of them both hens. His was bigger than mine but mine was much brighter. Chrome enough to be a winter?

Plus I got a bonus of some fresh steelhead eggs but they are no skeins just loose eggs. What do you guys do with your eggs? I was thinking about curing them just like normal salmon eggs but I'm assuming I would have to use spawn sacks right?

O
Ozzieb
Eskimo said:
Had the day off today so I took my buddy up to the hatchery for a BBQ and some fishin' and we actually caught some fish today.

Both of us hooked hatchery hens, thats right 2 of them both hens. His was bigger than mine but mine was much brighter. Chrome enough to be a winter?

Plus I got a bonus of some fresh steelhead eggs but they are no skeins just loose eggs. What do you guys do with your eggs? I was thinking about curing them just like normal salmon eggs but I'm assuming I would have to use spawn sacks right?

Yes. Use spawn sacks.

F
fishing_mission
What did the meat look like?

E
Eskimo
Like a pale orange but not a gross shade of tan.