Pond update 3/22/12

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Fished there for about 2 hrs today and had no bites....I hadn't seen anybody else catch anything either. Did happen to see two steelhead swim past me though...

W
wozniasm
SturgeonSurgeon said:
Fished there for about 2 hrs today and had no bites....I hadn't seen anybody else catch anything either. Did happen to see two steelhead swim past me though...

Never been there but thought about going tomorrow.
How big is it? Big enough for a pontoon boat with room not to bother the bankers?

H
hvacr1
yeah I've been by and checked it out a few times but there is definitely enough room for pontoon or float tube. But If your gonna head out that way you will have much better luck at lost lake on 26 headed toward seaside almost same amount of time to get there imo plus it also has steelhead just as they do in vernonia pond.

W
wozniasm
Thanks for the info. Still undecided where to go today but will be out somewhere.
Maybe Dorman Pond? Another spot new to me - too small for a toon so that would be banking day...

B
Born2Fish55
hvacr1 said:
yeah I've been by and checked it out a few times but there is definitely enough room for pontoon or float tube. But If your gonna head out that way you will have much better luck at lost lake on 26 headed toward seaside almost same amount of time to get there imo plus it also has steelhead just as they do in vernonia pond.

Yeah, but Lost only holds Trout... Lake Vernonia has multiple species... Bass, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Bullhead, Trout, and even Sturgeon (My Dad and some of his friends brought a 'bunch' over the hill and dumped them in back in the late 70's.

B
Born2Fish55
wozniasm said:
Thanks for the info. Still undecided where to go today but will be out somewhere.
Maybe Dorman Pond? Another spot new to me - too small for a toon so that would be banking day...

Dorman has enough room for a pontoon without running interference with the Bankies!

W
wozniasm
Born2Fish55 said:
Dorman has enough room for a pontoon without running interference with the Bankies!

Did go to Dorman and had a great time. Your're correct - room for a toon but a float tube would suffice. Two guys in tubes were slammin them nympghing.
Lost Lake may only have trout but may hit it so I can check it OFF my list.

F
FisherSteve
Went to Vernonia Lake yesterday (Sunday) and I could have pulled hatchery trout out of that lake all day with small power nugget (chartreuse) and golden salmon egg combo but after two dinks I notice a bunch of big steelhead by the pump where water pours into the lake. Bummer thing was they were only biting on shrimp with a marshmallow (use a bobber) and I did not have any with me and they do not sell any at that little bait shack there. Once I got one from another fisherman (a shrimp) it was about 3pm and though the steels were still swimming around there the bite was off. Ithrew the shrimp at em, tried a threaded night crawler and even salmon eggs (both red and gold) as well as a brass headed wolly bugger fly but no go by that point. I hope to get out there next Monday early to land one for dinner - hope they are not all gone by then! Anyone know how to and where to land some good bass in that pond? Thanks for reading - FISH ON!