Plunking setup

P
pdxstateofmind
I’m thinking of getting into plunking for salmon and wanted to get a ballpark number for how much I should expect to spend on a rod/reel setup and gear.

Any recommendations for cost effective setups?

P
pcstock
Easy. BiMart.

Okuma Cascade Pro 4-16oz / 20-40# line, 9'6" length (or longer if they make one)
And a cheap non-line counter baitcasting reel like a Okuma Coldwater or a China made Abu Garcia.

Should be right around $100-$110.

Have fun!

Reactions: Admin and pdxstateofmind
Grant22
Grant22
Also don’t get caught up in all the spin and glo colors and stuff. A handful of various colors will work just fine.

Reactions: jamisonace and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Grant22 said:
Also don’t get caught up in all the spin and glo colors and stuff. A handful of various colors will work just fine.

This can be said for any kind of fishing gear. Most of it is more effective at catching fishermen than fish.

Have you ever noticed on fishing shows that the "hot color that day" is always one of two or three colors? IMO it's the same with scent. Specific scent matters waaaaay less than Pro Cure would have you believe. Add some protein and you're good. Personally, I use tuna for one reason....it's cheap.

P
pcstock
Every single procure scent I have whiffed smell basically the same.

Diehard
Diehard
pcstock said:
Every single procure scent I have whiffed smell basically the same.
You might have a weak sniffer theres no way anise smells like bloody tuna or garlic and sand shrimp smell similar to me maybe I have a sensitive sniffer lots of rods are sold out unfortunately my coworker recently picked up a daiwa meat stick its rated 2-6 ounce for plunking up at Bonneville I fish a 8'2" lamiglass back bouncing rod rated to 6 ounce i use it on the Willamette were I'm making fairly short casts caught a few springers and steelhead on it good luck if you get out

P
pcstock
6 oz for fishing in the CR up at Bonneville??? Have you had success with that? I have never used less than 12oz up at Warrendale and even that would slide downriver a bit. 6 oz is the minimum at somewhere like Meldrum Bar. I typically use 8 oz.

-p

Reactions: Fishpdx
Diehard
Diehard
pcstock said:
6 oz for fishing in the CR up at Bonneville??? Have you had success with that? I have never used less than 12oz up at Warrendale and even that would slide downriver a bit. 6 oz is the minimum at somewhere like Meldrum Bar. I typically use 8 oz.

-p
To be clear I'm making a rod recommendation based of my fishing partners experience he fishes the Washington side up at Bonneville not sure were you got the six ounce weight from maybe reread my post this rod will cast a railroad spike as well as a 10 ounce weight fine with a near perfect bend and is a cheap option for someone on a budget as far as meldrum goes i have fished there a lot some time ago and have caught lots of fish there as close as 7 feet off the bank with less than 6 ounces of lead but since 6 is the minimum i guess i will have to change what I'm doing? I Hope this clarifies things

rtito
rtito
the same people that tell you on youtube every ounce of blood must be drained from salmon eggs before curing also tell you to add..ahem.. bloidy tuna.