Other fish at Clack!!!!

R
Rascal
no i dont blame the carp for every thing i just say its another factor and i have no problem with killing them jeez i dont see what the big deal is

plus it is completly legal to kill as many carp as you want its not like im telling waco to commit a crime

also i did say i dont like bass in being in oregon rivers either so READ MY post before you start bashing me

"would rather have a bigger meal, like a bloodworm atleast (more found in eastern Oregon)."

and if the carp eat the blood worms does that not make it harder for native species that eat bloodworms to survive with this competition

"As for your chromers surviving thousands of years with no problem (until Carp came into the story and "ruined the balance"), "

and could you guys read my words why do you misquote me drew i never said carp are the only reason. that quote about a thousand years was to show you carp are not needed for salmon to survive in oregon so get that strait man(And to think they call me the ignorant one)

my whole point is i just dont like non native creatures in oregon becasue i think they over populate and must compete with at least some native wildlife for some thing...whether it be native sucker fish or smolt something must be affected

so why is it worth the risk i admit they could have some benefit to clearing algae but you can't tell me the dont harm and thing in oregon... so the question should be asked whether the benefits out weight the risks and when we dont know for sure i say get those carp the h*** out

wow... and i reallly dont want to argue but i will keep defending my self bring it on

T
the_intimidator03
ok im going to provide a short and sweet comment to this flammage...... BALANCE! If the carp were not so prolific and could be kept down to a manageable level they could do their part in cleaning the waterways without choking everything else out. If I am not mistake sturgeon do just about the same thing without being prolific due to their slow growth nature among habitat confinements, we can also toss in a handful of other things into the equation.

H
halibuthitman
this is not an attack on waco... just an explanation of my personal constitution...
we all have blood on our hands, in my case covered in blood... I have killed more living things than smallpox, everyday when I get up and go to work... something..a lot of things are gonna die... this has in a strange way given me respect for life. In my backyard a group of alaska daisies somehow managed to jump out of the flower bed and colonize right in the middle of the nice green lawn.. every week I mow around them, everyone asks why I don't just mow them down, they are out of place..and are gonna get out of control.. to me they are diversity in a boring sea of green, and I like them, so I leave them.
there is a river in central idaho that if you hike a few miles up it on a bad worn out trail you come to a waterfall, a vietnam soldier lived there 35 yrs as a hermit in a stone house, he had a garden that is now overgrown but the flowers and some garden fodder grow at will from seeds, there is a fence with a sign on it.... " Bugs and spiders love their lives..please don't hurt them"............. and I agree.

O
OnTheFly
Drew9870 said:
The east is also full of Asian Carp (Bigheads, Grassers, and Silvers), which I would agree they take over pretty quickly and choke out the other species by eating the number one food source, Plankton. Common Carp don't feed on Plankton, definetly not primarily, they would rather have a bigger meal, like a bloodworm atleast (more found in eastern Oregon).

As for your chromers surviving thousands of years with no problem (until Carp came into the story and "ruined the balance"), did you include Gillnets, Birds, Seals, Sharks, (commercial) Fishermen, Sea Lions, Native Americans (by no means in an offensive way), and all that other crap that can result in fish being endangered into the story. Bass and Salmonids (Salmonoids whatever) are another living creature that do just as much damage (in a river) as a Carp, they stir up mud when they spawn, and they eat other life, they call it, the way of life, live and let live. Look at the Sturgeon almost becoming extinct, you want to blame that on the Carp? Just for another reason to hate them?

The highlighted red are not factors in natural balance. The highlighted blue is a little wierd. Not quite sure how these fish damage rivers.:think: Also, I can understand ones enjoyment in catching a carp but what I don't understand is the love affair some people have with them. Just my opinion.

G
Growbug
Except for fish that the State recommends to whack over the head (like PokeMinnows), why should you kill a fish if you are not planning to eat it? isn't that the same sort of "wastage" as perfectly good meat that is left in the wild by some hunters who just take the rack?

T
the_intimidator03
HH I have always respected your thoughts and opinions I generally agree with them and I do in this case as well. I tend to avoid posting opinions as i dont feel its worth it to argue over right and wrong because its all a matter of personal moral and justification. Like has been said for ages, Agree to disagree, We all have our different points of view and frequently they disagree with each other. And just because one person beleives one thing doesn't mean someone else has to believe the same. THAT is freedom to choose. I think i better stop talkin as my brain is scrambling

W
waco
well all i have to said is if the oregon department of fish and wild life dont care for this fish (and they are the experts) why we should if they dont care for this species to be killed and killed as many as you want is for some reason and maybe the reason is they are harmful on our rivers!!! thats my thought!!

O
OnTheFly
Sometimes management is neccessary but if there is no harm being done then why destroy it? I don't target carp but I certainly wouldn't kill one if I caught one.

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:
Sometimes management is neccessary but if there is no harm being done then why destroy it? I don't target carp but I certainly wouldn't kill one if I caught one.

Exactly most places you find Carp they aren't going hurt anything. As far as for ODFW if you go through the Regs you will see in some bodies of water its catch an release only an some like Devils Lake you can't even fish for them.

B
beaverfan
Growbug said:
Except for fish that the State recommends to whack over the head (like PokeMinnows), why should you kill a fish if you are not planning to eat it? isn't that the same sort of "wastage" as perfectly good meat that is left in the wild by some hunters who just take the rack?

They do recommend that you kill Carp, they are non native and invasive. ODFW would like them gone just as bad as any other non native fish. Especially considering they are in direct competition with Sturgeon and other native bottom feeders. The question isn't if they are good enough for Oregon waters, in fact there is no question! They directly compete with native wildlife!

R
Rascal
beaverfan said:
They do recommend that you kill Carp, they are non native and invasive. ODFW would like them gone just as bad as any other non native fish. Especially considering they are in direct competition with Sturgeon and other native bottom feeders. The question isn't if they are good enough for Oregon waters, in fact there is no question! They directly compete with native wildlife!

thank you

T
Troutier Bassier
IMO every fish is a good fish. Carp have been around for awhile and there are still salmon and steelhead teaming in rivers.
And if you don't like catfish or bass, why give a (bonnieville) dam about carp? They dont make your salmon rivers and streams muddy. There not gonna eat there eggs unless salmon spawn in the lower clackamas. They wont go up a bunch of rapids to get a bit of eggs.
Same thing with Pikeminnow. There native to Oregon. And still people take them and kill them and throw them away. Walleye and Smallmouth eat salmon minnows too. Why arent we doing anything about them? Is it only because there good table fare? Probally.

B
beaverfan
Chinook do spawn pretty dang low in the river. I don't like Bass or any other invasive species. It's no different than blackberry bushes.

Now I don't kill everyone I catch but I really wish they had never been introduced to our waters!

T
Troutier Bassier
I think people blame stupid stuff like this for not seeing fish when they go fishing.

"Where did all the bass go?"
"Oh the carp probally stired up the bottom and made the water dirty and uprooted the plants."
"Are you sure its not all the pestisides and dirt from those rich folks's lawns?"
"pfffft, Nope."

H
halibuthitman
Troutier Bassier said:
I think people blame stupid stuff like this for not seeing fish when they go fishing.

"Oh the carp probally stired up the bottom and made the water dirty and uprooted the plants."
"Are you sure its not all the pestisides and dirt from those rich folks's lawns?"
"pfffft, Nope."
rich folks aren't native to oregon either... and many of them ARE the reason the salmon are gone... lets bonk them and throw them in the grass!!

T
tnffishman
i know im late to the party but im pretty sure those aren't carp. I bet those are those peamouth chubs or whatever cause i was seein em last summer on the clack and got one finally on a panther martin and thats what it was, the mouth was really tiny

B
beaverfan
Troutier Bassier said:

"pfffft, Nope."

It doens't matter what the average person says. Listen to a biologist since they are the ones that have studied it. I have never heard a scientist say that the Carp have little to no impact on native wildlife/vegetation. They all say they do tremendous damage!

D
Drew9870
tnffishman said:
i know im late to the party but im pretty sure those aren't carp. I bet those are those peamouth chubs or whatever cause i was seein em last summer on the clack and got one finally on a panther martin and thats what it was, the mouth was really tiny

100% Carp, Peamouth are just totally different. Trust this coming from the biggest carp nut that visits this forum. Plus, look at the scales and the color, Peamouths aren't often brown with scales the size of quarters.

M
Moe
Drew9870 said:
100% Carp, Peamouth are just totally different. Trust this coming from the biggest carp nut that visits this forum. Plus, look at the scales and the color, Peamouths aren't often brown with scales the size of quarters.

could be suckerfish?

D
Drew9870
Again, very distinct features. Carp have scales the size of quarters (your average 10lber), Suckerfish do have large scales (hence the name Largescale Sucker) but nowhere near that size (you can also slightly see a whisker especially in the first pic, which you will only find on Cats and Carp), Suckers also have a narrow body, they could be more comparable to a Peamouth by means of body shape. Those Carp in the pic were obviously on the move, but very focused on something, a Sucker doesn't constantly roam around unless they are spawning.

I wouldn't say it was a Carp if I wasn't 200% sure. Compare the shape of a Carp to anything else that feeds on bottom, and you will see it's impossible to get them mixed up (unless one has little knowledge of species identification, I know people that call Suckers Carp)

Bottom feeders are hard to understand, they aren't like any simpleton ''Game Fish" that will regularly eat a piece of metal, rubber, or yarn, they take time to examine their meal to see if it's beneficial to their health, which makes it even more of a sport because you get to make your own baits that consist of healthy ingredients (IF you know what your doing and why your doing it), once you understand Proteins and Amino Acids and what Proteins it takes to digest a certain Amino to make it beneficial, you are on your way to making healthy baits that will even help fight off diseases.

Last edited: