Olallie camp out report

W
wozniasm
Got there Thursday and once at the store found a nail in my tire so $14 for a can of "fix -a-flat" to start. It didn't go flat so that was a start.
Once camp was set up, took the toon put and trolled a worm and used the portable fish finder. The fish finder did quite well indicating an average surface temp of 63 degrees. It did locate fish though they wouldn't bite.
Friday out early but no luck for three hours then asked a gent what he was catching them on and indicated a fruit fly pattern which I didn't have one so he turned me on to one. After that, caught eight ranging 12 to 13 inchers.
Saturday was a wash on flies but they were doing well on Powerbait eggs which I didn't bring.
I also shared some coffee with a gent who left his and he left me a book in appreciation. It turns out it was Rick Steber, a local Oregon author who has several books out. The latest is called "Caught in the Crossfire" which is a murder mystery based on a true story of a man shot in Eastern Oregon. Rick was nice enough to autograph the book for me. Not looking for anyhting in return, just helpng out a fellow pontoon boater, he was a nice guy. You never know who you'll find when out camping!
Forgot how to attach pics so if anyone can refresh my memory, let me know.

N
northwestrob
Nice story.

I'm shopping for a fish finder for my kayak. Can I ask which one you have and how do you like it? I'm trying to decide if a color screen is worth the extra cost and power consumption since I'll be running on a battery.

Rob

O
OnTheFly
Olallie can be a little slow at this time but it picks up again later in the summer and early fall. Black seems to be a productive color. Also try damsel fly nymph and light spruce. Oh yeah..and..cough..cough...green marbled powerbait.

D
DB Crouper
OnTheFly said:
Oh yeah..and..cough..cough...green marbled powerbait.

Hey!!

• Donny's dream life.jpg
Reactions: OnTheFly
W
wozniasm
northwestrob said:
Nice story.

I'm shopping for a fish finder for my kayak. Can I ask which one you have and how do you like it? I'm trying to decide if a color screen is worth the extra cost and power consumption since I'll be running on a battery.

Rob
I purchased a Humminbird Smartcasr RF35. About $75. It's one that you attach the transponder to a rod, cast it out and the display is on a watch. Looks cheesy but works sufficiently. Sees below at 90 degrees.
Designed to be worn on your wrist just like a watch for the ultimate in portability, the Humminbird SmartCast RF-5 Wrist Mount Fishfinder features the Advanced Remote Sonar Sensor (RSS) wireless technology to provide precise information about bottom contour, depth and water surface temperature. Features: Wear it like a watchPrecise readouts are easily viewable on the 1.25'', 48V x 32H LCD screenIncludes watch mode with time, date and alarm 90° Sonar Coverage125' Depth / 75' Range.

If you want something to attach to your toon, I was looking at the Humminbird 140C. It runs about $200 to $270 but sees below and to the sides. Color display: The 140c Fishin' Buddy offers a 256 color TFT 320V x 240H 3.5" display, down and side looking sonar with 1000 watts PTP power output. The ultimate in portability, with an ergonomic clamp mount designed to use nearly anywhere. No rigging, wiring or transducer to mount.

W
wozniasm
OnTheFly said:
Olallie can be a little slow at this time but it picks up again later in the summer and early fall. Black seems to be a productive color. Also try damsel fly nymph and light spruce. Oh yeah..and..cough..cough...green marbled powerbait.

A regular that hooked me up with the fruit fly pattern stated it works well overall but also mentioned a black WB can be productive.
Thanks for the extra possibilities!