Oil change Mercury

F
fishtales
I'm hoping to save some time and money on my motor maintnace. I checked the oil and it looks like it needs to be changed. Is this something I can do or is it better to take it in? The motor is about 5 years old. It has been a year or two since the last one. It has gotten a lot of use this year.

Troutski
Troutski
fishtales said:
I'm hoping to save some time and money on my motor maintnace. I checked the oil and it looks like it needs to be changed. Is this something I can do or is it better to take it in? The motor is about 5 years old. It has been a year or two since the last one. It has gotten a lot of use this year.

Absolutely, slap in a new filter and some fresh QuickSilver oil; your engine will love you for it. While you are in there give her new set of Plugs, NGK's (NAPA has them).
Be kind to your Merc and she will never let you down.....

Chuck

Reactions: fishtales
jamisonace
jamisonace
Speaking of plugs......any boat mechanic will tell you that a common do it yourself mistake that affects how well your motor runs is wrong plugs. Make sure you get the right plugs and you'll be in good shape.

F
fishtales
I guess i will have to work on it now. thanks

Irishrover
Irishrover
All the above is good sound advise. I'd do two more easy maitenance items while you are at it. Chech out your fuel filter and change it if needed, and change the gear lube in the lower portion of your motor. Both of these task are so easy even I can do it!;)

Reactions: Troutski
F
fishtales
Troutski said:
Absolutely, slap in a new filter and some fresh QuickSilver oil; your engine will love you for it. While you are in there give her new set of Plugs, NGK's (NAPA has them).
Be kind to your Merc and she will never let you down.....

Chuck

Its been a busy year. I am finally getting around to my oil change. Now that the oil is out I need to find the filter. Any idea where it is?

I also decided to take the lower unit off and inspect the impeller but I had to stop because I lack the right tool to disconnect the shift rod. Kind of happy to get this done finally.

F
fishtales
Done. and I think I have a happy motor :))

Troutski
Troutski
Good for you, trust me they know..... I do mine on my birthday every year... and it does pay off, never let me down on the water.

Chuck

F
fishtales
Well, I thougth I was done with this and ready to use the baot this fall. After all this I ran bad gas through the motor. Now it will not start. I picked up some Seafoam and am going to give it a try. I have used the red sta-bil before and it has done fine. Has anyone had a bad experience with Seafaom. Is'nt it basiclty the same thing?

F
fishtales
First Picture shows cap installed.

Second Picture shows cap removed.

Third picture show where gas is coming up (in blue) and where gas travels though and spills out (red).

Can someone help me with what is wrong. I cleaned the carb earlier in the week. Now,The motor runs but it spills a lot of gas.

Last edited:
F
fishtales
fishtales said:
First Picture shows cap installed.
http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/BJG97008/media/10f2_zps51809faa.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Second Picture shows cap removed.
http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/BJG97008/media/2of2_zps866c79a9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Third picture show where gas is coming up (in blue) and where gas travels though and spills out (red).

http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/BJG97008/media/3of3_zps372f34f9.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Can someone help me with what is wrong. I cleaned the carb earlier in the week. Now,The motor runs but it spills a lot of gas.

I took the carb apart again to double check everything. The picture above that (shows the area circled in blue) looks to be a hole in the carb. From the inside of the carb I can see daylight through that hole. Is that right or am I missing a piece?

D
DrTheopolis
I'm a long way from being an expert on outboard carbs, but as a general rule, when you're spilling gas out of the top, the needle-seat/float aren't doing their job.

F
fishtales
Thanks, will check and try starting it again.

F
fishtales
Took everything apart again, cleaned it, and put everything back together. Checked the needle/seat and float. Everything is working now. No gas leak. I'm not sure what was going on with it but its working. Just took it down to the river for an hour with my oldest and we caught about 6 bass.