OC shad

M
montym
Just making the location clearer: Clackamette Park, Oregon City

Bite is still very good, saw mostly nice sized females today. Hooked 16 today in about 4 hours, got only 7 to the bank though and even one of those fell back into the water. Missed may be 4-5 bites too. Couple of older Asian guys were just killing them.

Can't figure out how I lost so many, paper thin mouth and all. Frustrating to be honest.

Got some good acrobatics out of a few, and those seemed to happen when I had the drag set very light. Planning to go again tomorrow morning with some 2 or 4 lb leaders and my lightest rods to play with the fish, give me a shout if you're interested.

Cheers
M

Last edited:
G
Gulfstream
Sounds Great! What river/area you fishing?

D
DrTheopolis
Gulfstream said:
What river/area you fishing?

"OC" is Oregon City. Willamette River, at the mouth of the Clackamas.

C_Run
C_Run
DrTheopolis said:
"OC" is Oregon City. Willamette River, at the mouth of the Clackamas.

So is that what all the boats are about theses days, shad?

M
montym
C_Run said:
So is that what all the boats are about theses days, shad?

Probably most of them, but there are folks chasing salmon and steelhead as well. Even saw a few guide boats catching shad today. Won't be surprised if they had something out for springers also with the new two rod rule.

T
TimberTodd
Were you casting and retrieving a dart or floating one under a bobber Monty? Sounds like a fun day regardless.

M
montym
TimberTodd said:
Were you casting and retrieving a dart or floating one under a bobber Monty? Sounds like a fun day regardless.

I was just letting a 1/16 jig head drift, Todd. No plastic additions, and color didn't seem to matter. I am partial to chartreuse though, I reckon a habit I formed by catching most of my early trout on chartreuse eggs. Bobbers will probably work too, but most of the bites have been very light and we might get less hook-ups with bobbers. Besides that, trusting just my feel lets me enjoy the scenary :)

G
Gulfstream
Thanks!