Not good for Detroit Lake fishing

F
fish face
According to the news (KGW) high toxin levels were found in Detroit Lake, this Friday, and are a result of the presence of blue-green algae due to the warm weather.

F
fish face
I'm always the last to know. How long does it usually last? Until next winter?

hobster
hobster
Yeah, it is very common in some of the lakes around here, they usually get it by the end of the summer. I know it thrives off of sunlight and warmth, it will probably just get worse as the sumer goes on until it cools down again in fall/winter.

F
fish face
I hope you are right. I like fishing Detroit in October because there are fewer people. Hopefully the algae issue will be gone by then.

C
capblack
the businesses in detroit are already going to suffer due to low water, now they are going to suffer even more.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
capblack said:
the businesses in detroit are already going to suffer due to low water, now they are going to suffer even more.
It's definitely not looking good for businesses up and down the canyon. I posted the article on the Santiam Recycler page of Facebook and a lot of folks shared it to alert folks here in the area.

F
fish face
I remember awhile back when Detroit had low water levels. The small town of Detroit was only one year from folding.

P
playhooky
fish face said:
I remember awhile back when Detroit had low water levels. The small town of Detroit was only one year from folding.

That was about 14 years ago when the "Save Our Lake" campaign was underway. The Army Corps of Engineers made the decision back then to not fill the lake to boating recreation capacity but rather generate hydroelectric power so California could light the Boulevards at night......and (they claim) divert water to enhance the habitat for the then endangered Salmon. One other use of the water was to flush Portlandia pollutants down the river to the Pacific.

Detroit was on the verge of tanking. Took years for the little village to recover to what it is today. Sad but true things are likely to look a little grim for everyone up the canyon again this year. Unfortunately I don't visualize my boat at the ramp for awhile. Definitely a BIG BUMMER !! That lake is an Oregon gem to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk