Northerns ? not northern pike minnows

W
Wickerdave
Several weeks ago before we moved to Sublimity Oregon from Iowa (love it here allready) I asked about any Northern fishing in Oregon. Found out that they are frowned upon in OREGON WATERS! However there are some to be caught not too far way. Today I was browseing the fishing regs and was looking at the fish pictures pages when I spied the picture of a "Northern Pike Minnow" Is this the "Northerns" you have been referring to? These are not the Northern Pike we fished for in the Midwest and Canada, not even close.

This is the Northern Pike I'm talking about, any of these around??

Happy in Sublimity
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
Northern pike minnows and northern pike not the same, as you can see. I know of none in Oregon.

J
john montana
As the resident guy who targets almost exclusively invasiv species, let me just say I hope northern pike never make it to OR! Don't get me wrong...I DIG pike on the fly, but they would massacre the native species. They are just way too efficient a predator and trout, as well as the steelhead and salmon smolt would just get crushed. The smallmouth bass are a tough enough gauntlet for the smolt. I do dig em though...love to fish for them when I am in the Midwest and caught a beast in Alaska one year.

I think there are some lakes in WA that hold them...but I don't believe OR had any like waters...I hope it states that way. I heard they are entering the Columbia system up in Eastern WA...not good.

W
Wickerdave
You are right, they are preditors of the highest order. I guess I'll just have to save my coins for a Saskatsuwan trip. going up the John Day in mid Sept., can't wait. Want a big walleye in the worst way but I don't think my Texas flats boat can handle the Columbia.

Dave

C
colbypearson
I wish we had pike & musky lol

J
john montana
Tx flats boat? I could hnk of a use for that! Nice...

The John day is fun. Took my kids there this year for the first time. Had a blast.

V
Van
Merwin Res and Tapps lake in WA have tiger musky. There are a few others as well that WDFW stocks every few years. Merwin isn't too far of a drive. That is something that is on my list to accomplish in the next few years. Tossing some massive flies at tigers. From what i have learned 40" are not uncommon. There is also a NW tiger musky club, iirc...

Last edited:
J
john montana

Or you can just got to Alaska Van!

V
Van
One of these days i will. I have a cousin that lives up there i can impose on if needed. I really want to catch some Grayling. That little thing you are holding wouldnt be so bad either....

Nice fish man. :clap:

J
john montana
The grayling were awesome. After dinner I would fish until dark, catching grayling on a caddis pattern on nearly every cast. Just crazy fishing. Can't wait to get back.