Pike minnow fishing

H
hoskamoen
My son and his friends are talking about Pike Minow fishing to make extra money.

They plan on bank fishing from sunset to sunrise; as pike minnows move into shallow water in the evenings. They're talking about Bonneville, as the place to fish.

Does this make sense to any experience Pike Minnow fisherman?

Personally, I think it may be a half baked youthful adventure more than an opportunity to make some extra money. Their planning on talking a small travel trailer to minimize accmodation expenses.

Thank you for your insights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
Some people have made up to 100K doing that! Bonneville would be a good spot to do it also. I have fished there for them and it's a great place for them to start. Good luck, atlest they will be out of your hair! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: hoskamoen
EOBOY
EOBOY
Well I didn't think they were going to run right out and start fishing:coffee:. The rivers will open up at some point. I would be at Spray right now fishing for Bass, well not really waters to tough right now. But one can dream.

B
BrandonBeach
Not a bad way to spend your time.
Never fished them up at Bonneville. We used to catch them nonstop just upstream from the airport. 3 hook rig with just worms. These days all sorts of better techniques are used. YouTube and ODFW are good resources.

When we fished them there was no bounty. We fed the birds with them, osprey would swoop down and get them, sea gulls mostly hauled them off.

I recommend gloves to handle them, they are stinky slimy, hard to get smell off your hands.

Kudos for the lads initiative.

BB

jamisonace
jamisonace
Man, I wish I could still pick up and act on a "youthful half baked adventure" like that. Sounds like fun!

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and EOBOY
00Swede
00Swede
I sure wouldn't discourage them. Fishing is fun and if you can catch a few to get paid for, all the better. I don't really target them but sign up occasionally if I am getting into a few when I am Bass and Walleye fishing. Even if it is just 1 or 2, I'll turn them in. I've got a check station close to me though.
I caught 4 of these big ones yesterday, and lost another. Also caught some nice Bass. No Walleye but a fun day on the Kayak. I am usually on my Kayak or my boat but have caught them plenty of times from the bank with bait.
The Pike Minnow website, someone listed above, says the opener has been delayed. Some good maps on that website too.
They hit a plug like a freight train when they are this big.

• IMG_E0287.JPG