Noob on the Deschutes

reyaz
reyaz
Member
Thinking about exploring the lower Deschutes this weekend, specifically the section that runs along the BLM access road from Sherars Falls south to Maupin. I don't have waders so I'm hoping chucking nymphs from the bank with my 9' 5 wt will due. Will I need a Columbia River Basin endorsement, or does my setup make it pretty obvious that I'm targeting trout? Any advice/tips would be kindly appreciated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WoolyBugger
reyaz said:
Thinking about exploring the lower Deschutes this weekend, specifically the section that runs along the BLM access road from Sherars Falls south to Maupin. I don't have waders so I'm hoping chucking nymphs from the bank with my 9' 5 wt will due. Will I need a Columbia River Basin endorsement, or does my setup make it pretty obvious that I'm targeting trout? Any advice/tips would be kindly appreciated.
You do not need the CR endorsement for trout. I need to get out there and fish that section as well! Good luck!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin and reyaz
The way I understand it, the only time a CRE is required is if you are harvesting fish other than trout or invasives.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin and reyaz
If the Deschutes is anything like any of the rivers in Tillamook County right now and into the weekend, it will be ugly and something you may want to rethink.
 
  • Like
Reactions: reyaz and Admin
SparkyofSoCal said:
If the Deschutes is anything like any of the rivers in Tillamook County right now and into the weekend, it will be ugly and something you may want to rethink.
Ha! That’s why I’m heading out to the desert. Maupin looks relatively dry this week and the water flow up river seems stable.🤞
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin
Crossed the Deschutes at Warm Springs last Thursday. It looked good. The question is how the the White River is flowing. It can cause problems for the lower Deschutes and it enters the Deschutes not too far from Maupin.


"Oregon's Columbia River Basin Endorsement​

All Oregon-licensed anglers fishing for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon (catch-and-release and retention) on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin need a Columbia River Basin Endorsement. House Bill 2343 (2025) extended the sunset date for Oregon's CRBE through January 2, 2032."
 
  • Like
Reactions: reyaz
Skunked!

Stopped at Taylor Lake on the way, lost my woolly bugger. Then, right as we were getting in the truck to move on, several sizable trout started surfacing.

The water was definitely turbid downstream of the White River.

All and all, it was a beautiful setting to practice casting. 😅
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover and Admin

Similar threads

B
Replies
7
Views
8K
Kgraham75
K
M
Replies
9
Views
20K
Casting Call
Casting Call
troutdude
Replies
5
Views
3K
eugene1
E
troutdude
Replies
5
Views
2K
waco
W
M
Replies
50
Views
8K
montym
M
Back
Top Bottom