Newb to steels...

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Hey,

I am new to fishing steelhead and would like to know if there are any fish in the Wilson to be caught at this time? I heard from a guy salmon fishing a couple weeks ago there were still a bunch of fish held up in holes there. My concern is with the recent rains and river levels coming up a bit, are these fish still around?

Cheers,

Chris

S
sapo
Hmm..

Contrary to your post, we haven't had any rains recently that have been big enough to raise river levels significantly at all. In fact, the last decent rain we had was almost two weeks ago, and most areas received less than half an inch of rain. That rain barely affected river levels, and the rivers are back down to super low now, since we haven't had any rain after that. May not be optimal for steelhead fishing.

The Wilson is really low right now and the temperature is probably above average, both of which are typically poor conditions for steelhead fishing. The main, big run on the Wilson is the winter steelhead run. However the summer steelhead run on the Wilson is also pretty strong and there are definitely still fish around in the system, I've heard of people catching them into October.

So, to finally answer your question LOL..Yes, there are definitely still fish in the river and there will probably be decent fishing for about a month. The water levels and temperature aren't optimal but there aren't too many guys on the river right now and you'll definitely be able to find fish in the river. I would target them with smaller spoons or spinners, or maybe bobber and roe. Be careful about your presentation and downsize with the lower water.

-sapo

Reactions: pinstriper
troutdude
troutdude
Aw nuts. Sapo I tried to give you some cred (rep points), but can't for now. But that's one of the best posts ever, IMO. Well thought out; clear; conscise; and helpful. Well done! :thumb:

P
pinstriper
troutdude said:
Aw nuts. Sapo I tried to give you some cred (rep points), but can't for now. But that's one of the best posts ever, IMO. Well thought out; clear; conscise; and helpful. Well done! :thumb:

I got ya covered. Rep added to Sapo.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Agreed!

troutdude
troutdude
pinstriper said:
I got ya covered. Rep added to Sapo.

Thank you kindly.

E
eugene1
MrGrump,

I would suggest you target salmon now and wait for winter steel to come up later in the year.

It is all about seasonality with these fish!

S
sapo
@eugene1, in the Wilson?

I wouldn't think there really any salmon in numbers in there right now, the Wilson has a later run and sometimes peaks in November with salmon catches. And I know there are plenty of steelhead in the river right now, it may be difficult to catch them but they're there. So if he wants to fish the Wilson, or if he wants to fish for steelhead, the Wilson would be a decent choice for summers right now and may be a better option than nearby rivers.

So, MrGrumpFish: If you're looking to fish the Wilson, summers are your best bet right now, and they're definitely in there. If not, the Nestucca and Trask should be getting some salmon through by about this time. They have an earlier salmon run than the Wilson does, and although the salmon won't be think in the Nestucca and Trask right now, you'll probably be able to find more fall nooks in there than you would in the surrounding rivers. Tidewater will probably have the majority of the salmon there if you can find access, but there are probably a few in the rivers too. Bobber and roe is great for fall nooks, and spinners take their fair share as well.

F
fishsauce
I would have to concur. There are some summer in the Wilson tight now. But they will be tough to target as most are aware. Low, gin clear water won't make it any easier. Most success will be during first or last light. Obviously adjust your presentation accordingly. I typically wait until October to target them, the first fall rains improve the bite.

D
DrTheopolis
sapo said:
the Wilson has a later run and sometimes peaks in November with salmon catches.

November is great, if you like the dark ones.

But it's really all about the rains.

S
sapo
Lol ya true DrTheo, but there are still bright ones in the Wilson in November! I have friends who've caught chrome fall nooks in there in late December.

And ya the runs are really all depending on the rain, and they arrive at different times each year, but as a general rule the Wilson (and the Kilchis) typically get a later run, and the catches of brighter fish (and darker ones lol) tend to stick around longer than on other coastal rivers.

hobster
hobster
Good chance of rains next wed and thu.................so they say. The last "storm" was barely a sprinkle.............everybody pray, do a raindance, or something!

troutdude
troutdude
Perhaps Raincatcher's Cyberblaster, is a multi-tool that can also produce...ahem..."Rain". ;-)

P
pinstriper
I washed my car....

S
sapo
hobster said:
Good chance of rains next wed and thu.................so they say. The last "storm" was barely a sprinkle.............everybody pray, do a raindance, or something!

Ya, that's our one shot at getting some fish into the rivers before it gets dry again..my guess is that we won't have another rain after that until early October, potentially later. Ya the last "storm" brought between .2 and .4 inches of rain on average to most areas..not enough to do much of anything. This upcoming bit of rain seems to have more potential, if we're lucky maybe around an inch or more in some areas could be possible. Whatever happens, it should raise river levels more than the last one. But we'll see as it comes closer to time.