New to Oregon really want to learn how to fish for steelhead!!

R
RicoE
Im new to Oregon, New to this Forum, And most important new to fishing steelhead.i moved to Beaverton Oregon From Arizona for a job. Now up in Arizona you can fish 6 to 10 inch trout out of rivers and lake. I'v gone up to Hagg Lake a couple times but I really want to learn how to fish steelhead I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips to get started.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum; and to my native state. I hope you like it here. You will find lots of places, with MUCH bigger trout...including Hagg. I've seen rainbows in the 6-7 pound range, hauled out of Hagg...many from the bank. And, there are some that are even larger! Hagg has also produced at least 2 state record smallmouth bass too.

Now, is the time to be fishing the Sandy and Clackamas for Springers and Summers. You can use the search engine on here, and learn a LOT about how to fish for those fish. I also encourage you, to buy a copy of "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", by John Shewey. This book is available in most local fishing departments, and sporting goods stores. You will learn a lot, and get up to speed quickly, by reading that book.

I am sure, that some folks will OFFer to help you out too. There are a lot of really great, and knowledgeable, peeps on here. Good luck. We look forward to your reports. And don't hesitate to keep asking questions.

C
Cowboykid8
Welcome to the forum Rico! I found fishing with a float the easiest way to start fishing for steelhead. You can use jigs, pink worms, or bait. With springers moving into the rivers bait will be more popular for the float fisherman.

madasahab
madasahab
RicoE said:
Im new to Oregon, New to this Forum, And most important new to fishing steelhead.i moved to Beaverton Oregon From Arizona for a job. Now up in Arizona you can fish 6 to 10 inch trout out of rivers and lake. I'v gone up to Hagg Lake a couple times but I really want to learn how to fish steelhead I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips to get started.

Welcome! It would be easiest to just go fishing with you sometime and show you the ropes...winter steelhead are about over, but summers are right on their heels!!! Hit me up if you want to fish sometime or need some info...

Cheers!
Ahab

E
eugene1
Welcome to OR, rico.

You're in fish central. Get out to some steelhead water and see what the locals are doing ask some questions and don't be too aggressive. Then go to the tackle store and pick up the gear they're using.

T
troutmasta
RicoE said:

Welcome, when I moved to Oregon the only thing I'd ever caught was trout, I'll never leaver this place now. Salmon and steelhead fishing is incredible. I live very close to beaverton and would be glad to take you to some killer summer spots. Just pm me when you want. Here very soon things should start to kick off locally. GOOD LUCK.
TM