New pole! Setup question for salmon/steel.

B
Big3d
Hey,

Just got a nice new heavy action 9' baitcasting rod i plan to use for winter steel and spring nooks, for now i have 1 reel, just wondering if you wonderful people could weigh in on line types and tests, hopefully i.ll get into the fall nooks a few times before their gone, so strength is a factor, by spring i should have a reel for salmon and a steelie reel, i was thinking braid but not sure about backlash and whatnot, i am new to baitcasters as i have used spinning reels since i was a wee lad on the deschutes in central oregon! Any words of wisdom area appreciated, my rivers of choice would be the clackamas and wilson if that makes a difference

T
troutmasta
If your going after Nooks Ive learned the hard way that you want 20-30 main. Ive used twelve but you'll lose lots of fish. I like 20 pound leader. As far as brand my 2 cents is P-Line X-strong Moss green. Some like High Vis line. If your gonna fish a lot of floats you might consider braided line it floats 20-30 pound, but its not the best for fishing on the bottom.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I fish 40lb braid for salmon and steelhead. The lighter braids in the 20-30lb varieties will break with just a few knicks in its weave. The heavier braids cast better, back lash less, and dont bite into the spool as bad when you snag, or fight a fish. Also a lot easier to tie knots on those cold mornings when your fingers are hurting.

B
Big3d
I was thinking 40 lb braid would be small enough for steel yet heavy enough for salmon i bobber fish but am trying to side drift lately.

O
OnTheDrop
Big3d said:
I was thinking 40 lb braid would be small enough for steel yet heavy enough for salmon i bobber fish but am trying to side drift lately.

65lb braid is a must on a fall chinook bobber setup. It's diameter is around 17lb i believe. No reason to go light for falls. I also like a 20-25lb leader.

G
grampa ron
If you are new to baitcasting reels, be sure to get one with tuneable magnets. Don't try to make long casts right away. Develope a feel for your system. Good luck.

B
Big3d
I actually have had the reel awhile, just never used it, it does have the magnetic brake. It's the black max 1, by abu, seems more for bass but can fight much larger fish so i'll make it work

Last edited:
madasahab
madasahab
65# for baitcasters...30 for steelie spin gear...the 65 mends better and way less tip rap not to mention strength...30-40# leader salmon...10-12# steelies:dance:

T
troutmasta
madasahab said:
65# for baitcasters...30 for steelie spin gear...the 65 mends better and way less tip rap not to mention strength...30-40# leader salmon...10-12# steelies:dance:
Heavy duty!