Native trout in Bend area

K
KeithG
I will be spending a week in Bend next summer, end of July and I am wanting to catch some of the native trout in their native drainages. I will probably be driving in along the John Day River and hope to fish one of its tributaries for West Slope Cutthroat. While in Bend I would like to target Red Band and Bull trout. I am not particular about size. Willing to hike and/or backpack to get to them. Any streams or areas that would help me narrow my research would be appreciated.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

First: it is ILLEGAL to "target" Bull Trout, in most of our streams. I suggest viewing / downloading regulations, from the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife (ODFW)--so you don't wind up with, a HEFTY FINE, have your gear confiscated, etc.

The John Day, during the time that you will be here, will largely be a Small Mouth Bass fishery. But I believe it has, a Redband population (but will leave this to others, to verify). It also appears that, all JD tributary's are CLOSED. You can view the reg's, on page 67 of the 2015 reg book. Then double-check, when the 2016 reg book is published (which should be very soon).

The JD, does have a population of West Slope cutts. But angling for them, may not be good in the heat of an Eastern Oregon summer & low water flows. Here is some additional info:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Plenty of Wild but not Native fish to be had, browns, brookies, rainbows some native some not! Lk Billy Chinook allows some Bull Trout I believe best to check the regs next month! Lotsa of opportunity in that area!

S
sapo
If you're in Bend and looking for native fish, fish the Metolius, Deschutes, Upper Deschutes, and Crooked...there are quite a few smaller rivers/streams around there too. And ya John Day is pretty much a bass fishery and the tribs are closed...but the four I mentioned should be money.

Ya it's pretty much illegal to target bull trout anywhere.

S
sapo
Depending on where you're coming from, hit the Owyhee River if you get a chance..hands down, unarguably the best trout river in Oregon. They're browns so maybe not what you're looking for but it's definitely the best trout river in the state.

S
sapo
That looks super fun Gary! Lol if the bull they caught midway through the vid was a 7 pounder, the rainbow my friend caught on the Owyhee was a state record..:D

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Theres many vids I put one up and Bull Trout retention is allowed! I think its up the Reservation arm at certain times of the year! Big fish caught just giving the guy info not negative BS!

D
DrTheopolis
sapo said:
the rainbow my friend caught on the Owyhee was a state record..

Posthumous Growth Syndrome.

Even worse when a fish is released -- I read about at least a dozen+ 18 pound coho on this very website this fall.

S
sapo
Lol DrTheo, I was laughing about the video cuz they caught a decent bull trout and called it seven pounds..thinking if that was seven pounds, brett's rainbow would be a state record.

If you don't believe me though, I believe I posted a picture of it on here in July. But the picture never does the fish justice :D

S
sapo
GaryP1958 said:
Theres many vids I put one up and Bull Trout retention is allowed! I think its up the Reservation arm at certain times of the year! Big fish caught just giving the guy info not negative BS!

Ya good job giving him info, and it looks like fun!

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I never infer anything son when I speak its to the point!

C_Run
C_Run
"Imply"....c'mon guys.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. This took the fast train south.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
just trying to give the guy good info no offence implied!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
here are some facts on the Bull Trout regulations in Oregon:

In the NE Zone, there are 2 rivers that allow C&R for Bull Trout: Imnaha River and Wenaha River.

In the Central Zone, there are 2 lakes that allow angling for and very limited retention of Bull Trout (1 per day over 24"): Billy Chinook Lake and Simtustus Lake. Odell lake has bull trout and they are hooked while fishing for lake trout but "must be immediately released unharmed". Check the special regs. for details on these lakes.
Also in the Central Zone, the Metolius River is "Catch and release for all fish, including bull trout".

that is all I can find on Bull Trout; let's get back to fishing!