My son caught himself a lunker from.....Canby Pond?

C
chrisohm
I picked him up from school as usual and asked him what he wanted to do. "Go home and play a video game!", he answered. I had to disagree.:naughty:
I knew they had stocked the pond the past couple of weeks and decided that after a couple stops on the way home we would grab some gear so he could fish for an hour. I set him up 18" off the bottom with the smallest hook I had and a couple garlic eggs. Fish were jumping everywhere and yet not a bite for about 40 min. He said, "We should go home because the fish hate my eggs.":(
I convinced him to wait out the last 20 minutes but I would make him a longer leader since the fish were going after some hatch that was going on. A 3' leader and a good cast for him produced him a fish a few minutes later. It swallowed the hook completely...:confused: Tiny fish for crab bait later I guess. I refreshed the garlic scent and cast it out for him again in the same spot. I reeled in his slack while he was goofing off with the kid next to him and then came the tug. I told him to come get his pole, "You have another fish." "I have another fish!", he shouted in excitement. He took the rod and started reeling it in. I could hear the reel having an issue as the fish pulled against the drag. "Keep your tip up, I think you have a nice one!", I told him. I saw the flash in the water realizing he just caught himself a trophy.:dance:
The group next to us brought over their net and helped us get it on the bank. I have never seen my son so excited and happy! He was boasting and wide eyed! I thought it was a holdover but I completely spaced it! They have an event tomorrow at Canby Pond and stocked the pond today with legals, pounders and a few brood trout. Luckily he got one of those brood trout. The next 20 minutes he was riding a high and acting like a fool with the other kids. I took my time packing things up so he could enjoy his moment. Nothing is better than seeing your son have a winning moment.:D

His biggest trout so far, 3lbs, 20"
DSC00126.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
That is a totally awesome report man. Nice fish; and a big grin! Way to go dad. :cool:

We now have another addicted fisherman that can join our recovery group! :shock:

C
Coastaldweller
I can't wait to have days like that with my son! Great report and the pic is worth a thousand words!

W
waco
Nice fish! I'm happy for your son! Way to go man!! Awesome pic!

C
chrisohm
troutdude said:
That is a totally awesome report man. Nice fish; and a big grin! Way to go dad. :cool:

We now have another addicted fisherman that can join our recovery group! :shock:

Recovery is not an option...:D

C
chrisohm
Coastaldweller said:
I can't wait to have days like that with my son! Great report and the pic is worth a thousand words!

The patience pays off! Then when your son gets into some bigger fish he gets just as addicted as you do but mine still has to balance some video games, his pet Chester and some fishing with dad. I can't wait to get out to some of our other spots with some new tactics...

C
chrisohm
waco said:
Nice fish! I'm happy for your son! Way to go man!! Awesome pic!

Thanks waco! For him this is the equivalent to the salmon pictures you post. Ahhhhh yeah!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
This is what it's all about! Congrats!:clap::clap::clap:

S
SmallStreams
Pretty impressive to catch a fish that's over half as long as yourself!

T
TTFishon
Looks like one happy kid!!! Nice job Dad!!!

C
chrisohm
SmallStreams said:
Pretty impressive to catch a fish that's over half as long as yourself!

You got that right!
I'm surprised he got it to the bank! All the time I have put into handing him the rod and having him reel in the fish has paid off. He hasn't quite got the idea of the "bite" yet, bottom or bobber. After we got the fish out of the water the hook fell out with one head shake. So proud of him!

R
rum runner
nothn better then getn a kid out of the house away from the vid. games and hookn into a nice slab! glad to see it and maby he will say go fishn next time

H
Hawk
Now that is a reel beauty.
Well done fellas.

:clap::clap::clap:
:lol::lol::lol:

:dance::dance::dance:

:cool::cool::cool:

F
Finneus Polebender
definitely the only thing better than hooking a lunker yourself, and as far as I am concerned the best thing about fishing seeing the excitement and joy on a kids face when they catch their first fish, or their first big fish as in this case! Hopefully just another personal best of many to come way to go dad!

C
chrisohm
So far in our fishing adventures he has me bested in trout by an inch and 1.5 pounds. I want to see him handle a jack nook or coho...that would be fun!

B
browntrouthunter
Great Fish!