My son and I fish off Cedar Island today.

M
Moosebonsai
We went to fish the Willamette today and tried Cedar Island. We got there about 5:00. There were swimmers on both sides of us. Several Boaters in the cove. One boat's speakers system was blaring AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long." They played it 5 times! I thought there would be no way there would be any fish in 10 miles of this loud place. However in less than 8 casts using a small spinner, we hooked 4 smallmouth bass, landed three, and kept two. The biggest one my son dropped back in the water :rolleyes:.

That all happen in the first 20 minutes. I stayed throwing out the spinner for another two and a half hours, the crowd thinned out and noise died down. My son went an played along the shore doing 6 year old stuff. I caught nothing else.

It was all kinda of counterintuitive. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
S
skunk
Nice work, he looks happy.

M
Moosebonsai
Indeed, He had a blast. Mostly playing along the water's edge!

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
Good job getting your son into fishing.
Don't take this wrong, but your large purple font is kinda the equivalent of the loud speakers you had to endure on the river. No offense intended. It's a free country (last time I checked) and a free forum.
Re catching a steelhead: Hang in there...it gets better with time. Keep asking questions.
Cheers,
Bernie

M
Moosebonsai
Today, we went back to Cedar Island Park on the Willamette and took my oldest with us this time. We fished from 3:00 to 6:00. Nothing, except a 12 inch small mouth bass caught by my oldest around 5:05. I've never used spinners before this summer, always live bait. Kind of cool to catch something on a lure.

bernduffy said:
... your large purple font is kinda the equivalent of the loud speakers you had to endure on the river. ...

Thanks for the feedback, Bernie. I've adjusted my font setting in my browser to a bigger size and can now read other's posts. I won't continue to use the large size for my post any longer now that I can read the post. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bernduffy
Nice job getting your boys into fishing. Sometimes just catching one is enough to keep them in the game. Spinners are amazing, aren't they? The aggressive territorial strikes they cause in most species are incredible. You'll also pick up some Northrn Pikeminnow, Crappie, Bullhead, Carp, Walleye and believe it or not flounder in around those rocks. At dusk: beavers, otters and mink. Don't get me started on the birds! Then there's the sea lions...
BTW: Sorry if I misunderstood that your large size font was part of a vision problem. Apologies.

Cheers,
Bernie