My First Summer of 2010!!

Z
ZeeBorn
Well I really wanted to fish today but I didn’t feel like getting up early and standing in the rain so I decided to give plunking at Meldrum Bar a shot. I had never tried plunking before but the idea of possibly catching a steelhead or a springer from the comfort of my truck was enticing. I made a stop as Fishermen’s to get geared up and I was soon fishing. Around 2:00 I looked out the foggy window of my truck to see my rod dancing in the holder. I burst out and set the hook. A couple nice runs and a bit of surface thrashing later and I had a nice bit of chrome at my feet.
Judging by the brightness of the fish, how easily its scales were coming off and the fact that its eggs were completely undeveloped I’d say this was a fresh from the ocean summer run. The meet was full of color and had lots of fat to trim off.
I got her on a sparkly orange spin’n glow and pink prawn tail.
I defiantly got to do more plunking!.. Maybe tomorrow!
Cheers,
Nate

J
JTLunker
Nice chromer Nate! I have spring break comin up and would like to do some plunkin. Maybe I will see you out there? Congrats on the fish!
JT

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Me likes nice shiny fishes! Me wants nice shiny fishes...Schmeegal (sp) needs much more coffee. From your truck,huh? Not a bad idea when it's coming down in buckets. Last January,Autofisher and I just HAD to go fishing. We worked our way up the Santiam from Stayton to Detroit. Jump out,cast,set rod in holder,jump back in truck. We kept this up until we got to Detroit. It was snowing fairly hard all the way. We fished from the dam and had to strain our eyes to see the water through the snow. Only time in my life I had snow blow UP into my nose....weird but a blast. Might be time for another trip for truck plunking. Congrats on the nice shiny chrome!

J
Johnny Southpaw
Beautiful chromer there! I bet the meat was exquisite. Nice job!

Troutski
Troutski
Nice fish, congratulations....very sweet.

Chuck

C
Cohosanders
Nice fish!!!! I have to try plunking @Meldrum sometime.

B
BlackBass
Very nice Summer run Steely. Congrats on a nice catch.

H
Hawk
She is a reel Beauty Bro.

Great Job

:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

That's how we go catfishin' or stripers, sometimes.

Put pole in holder with a bell on rodtip at nite,
go back in the ol class C motorhome,
wait fer bell to dingding

:lol::lol::lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
NICE FISH!!!!!!! Im going to Meldrum now!

M
Mike123
Right on nice fish! I think you have posted the first Summer steel on OFF for 2010! :clap:

F
fishwithdynamite
:cool:Bright!:cool: You and the fish. Catching from the comfort of your own vehicle, isn't that considered poaching?:lol::lol: Just in hunting, I know.

S
snowrdr
Great looking steelie!!! :clap::clap::clap:
I grew up plunking on the Skagit River, love to hear the bell ringing!!! :cool:

Z
ZeeBorn
Thank guys! Well I'm about to head back out to Meldrum maybe I'll see some of you out there. Good luck all!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish! Man I love plunking. Confused though everyone drives right down to the river ans you sit in the car?

B
beaverfan
Yup its a big gravel bar. You drive out cast and sit in the truck.

F
FishAssassin
Wow just as I was daydreaming about springers you have to go and post something like this! Now I am thinking about summer steelhead as well and my brain is overloading! Only one thing to do, get out there and fish! Beauty of a fish! So bright I had to wear my polarized glasses just to view the pictures. :cool: Good job!!!!!

B
boberdown
very nice! steelie! what brand of prawns were u using if u dont mind me asking? i usualy buy bc bait co. prawns they seem to be the best i have not tried them this year yet though... but on comcast sports net owin said the nates baits prawns were the only ones working!

Z
ZeeBorn
I was using pink Guide's Choice. I was out there today but didn't have any luck. Saw one banked, although it was to far away to tell exactly what it was, something chrome anyway. Well I'll probably head back out there tomorrow or maybe to Bonneville.

M
Moe
How far is Meldrum Bar from Aloha/Beaverton?

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
That is a bright one ! A real beauty ! Plunking is effective , just never done it . I prefer to get in the water myself .