Salmon 2014 Show OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
U
ufl
Hey Guys
Last week Itook my first Atlantic salmon; this one wasn’t catching on spinner, but on ahomemade wobbler, I had bought some wobbler for test fishing. Next winter I’mgetting into wobbler making…
This was 34.5inch; we had a quote system here, so it was released again
Ulrich F.

IMG_3418.jpg IMG_3422.jpg

C_Run
C_Run
Nice work Ulrich, that's nice and big. Congratulations! How do you make the wobblers? Do you get components and put them together or start with a chunk of metal? My wife says let's go (to Jutland)!

U
ufl
Chris
I become a member of a forum, where people from Norway, Finland and Sweden posted picture and making their own handmade wobbler of timber wood.
I had bought some wobbler for test fishing to see how they looked how they had “tuning”them, I took a salmon on the first day, but next day there was another salmon try to catch the wobbler, but didn’t take the hook. This is pretty new to me; I will buy some timber and cutting the wood and twist the wire, and try to learn the Airbrush painting, all this will be on cold dark winter nights……

E
eugene1
Way cool! Over here most folks use store bought wobblers made of metal. I have not heard of wood wobblers.

Best,

T
troutmasta
Very cool.

C_Run
C_Run
ufl said:
Chris
I become a member of a forum, where people from Norway, Finland and Sweden posted picture and making their own handmade wobbler of timber wood.
I had bought some wobbler for test fishing to see how they looked how they had “tuning”them, I took a salmon on the first day, but next day there was another salmon try to catch the wobbler, but didn’t take the hook. This is pretty new to me; I will buy some timber and cutting the wood and twist the wire, and try to learn the Airbrush painting, all this will be on cold dark winter nights……

Do you have a link to that site? What kind of wood is it?

U
ufl
Abachi is good, but Black alder is even better, I had just bought some wobblers from difference wobble makersBlandet wobler.jpg

E
eugene1
Ahh, I would call those crank baits or plugs. They are works of art! I thought you were making these kind of wobblers:

wobblers_ad.jpg

C_Run
C_Run
Rapalas are popular here. They are from Finland so I guess you guys have a tradition of making plugs in your region. I looked up abachi and black alder. It was interesting that black alder is used for smoking fish just like we use red alder for here. It also turns from white to red just like red alder. I wonder if red alder would be good for making plugs. I once worked for a wooden box manufacturer and we made some custom boxes from kiln dried red alder. It was nice to work with. Maybe our "trash tree" has another possible higher use.

U
ufl
Chris

The red alder is what we use here, strong surface and not taking water, it translate to black alder from the latin name.

C_Run
C_Run
Red alder, Alnus rubra (ours). Lines our rivers in western Oregon.

Hv3YOS7.jpg

Black alder, Alnus glutinosa , European. Similar but not the same species.

U
ufl
Beautiful place and nice looking river, there most be a hotspot in front and behind the big rock for salmon and steelhead there?

T
troutmasta
There is defenetly a steel resting behind it. ;-)

C_Run
C_Run
The picture is a few years old but most of our rivers in western Oregon have red alder right along the bank like that. I did catch my personal best steelhead right there in 2011 at a time I had only ever caught a couple. It would have looked good on a magazine cover. No camera and no witnesses but a nice memory.

Keep us posted with pictures of your home made lures.

Status
Not open for further replies.