Mt. Hood lakes updates/info

O
olshiftybiscuits
Starting a thread for folks to share info on the Mount Hood lakes as they become accessible.

Frog is still frozen and covered in snow, although it's soft snow and the edges of the lake are slushy. Shouldn't be too long. Stocking is scheduled for the second week of May.

Laurance Lake is open, but the road is still blocked by snow and there's a damaged culvert that needs to be fixed once the road is clear. Stocking has been moved back to mid-May. The road is gated two miles from the lake.

Lost Lake is almost certainly still frozen, but the resort opens Friday so it'll be easy to get confirmation with a phone call.

Anyone know if Clear or Trillium have thawed yet? Clear is supposed to get fish next week, but the road was still blocked by snow as of this weekend. It's usually the first to thaw, in my experience, but I think that has something to do with natural springs that may or may not be below the current water level (only 22% full).

Reactions: reaper338 and Admin
DOKF
DOKF
Clear Lake at only 22% sounds dire ...

O
olshiftybiscuits
DOKF said:
Clear Lake at only 22% sounds dire ...

Agreed. It fluctuates a lot from season to season, and is usually pretty low by the time winter rolls around, but I don’t know how 22% compares to years past.

S
Snopro
Trillium was 100% iced over on Sunday. I'll take a current photo for you on Friday. Clear looked like it was open water.

Reactions: troutdude and olshiftybiscuits
O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
Trillium was 100% iced over on Sunday. I'll take a current photo for you on Friday. Clear looked like it was open water.
Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it.

S
Snopro
Trillium 4/29

20220429_162909.jpg

Reactions: reaper338
Irishrover
Irishrover
Went over Mt. Hood on May 1st. There was snow on the road to Clear Lake and the gate was still across the road.

scched
scched
Supposed to get 7" of snow in the next 24 hours up there. gonna be a late-starting season

O
olshiftybiscuits
scched said:
Supposed to get 7" of snow in the next 24 hours up there. gonna be a late-starting season

I doubt that’ll stick for more than a day or two, there’s rain in the forecast immediately after.

I did a quick tour of the lakes off 26 yesterday. The road to Clear should be traversable in 7-10 days. Frog longer, Trillium longer. Maybe first week of June for those two.

Timothy should be good to go any day now, folks with high clearance vehicles can probably make it already.

Reactions: DOKF, scched and Irishrover