Motor heads (trolling)

P
playhooky
I have a 2000 Honda 5 HP Four Stroke (BF5A). I went to Odell Lake on Friday and after about two hours of trolling my little Honda let me down....just quit after minor sputtering. I pulled until I decided not to get out my other bag of vocabulary. No huge deal....just turned the key on the main motor and used it to continue the day. Got home and checked the little motor which seems to have no spark. I'm suspecting an electronic ignition problem is the culprit but just snooping it out to see if any of you have that motor and have experience or inklings to what might be wrong (?). I'm thinking this little jewel has less than 30 hours on it. I'm no mechanic but this thing does not appear to be that complicated. Just really don't want to unnecessarily shell out a bunch of cash to the boys at the shop if I can avoid it. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have the same motor about a 2004 and mine quit at the far side of Paulina and then the wind picked up I rowed about 2 miles against the wind took 2 hours I guess my heart is ok at 55 yo! Mine was the cuttoff button the red one, You can bypass the switch just jump the wire that fixed mine! Also those one cylinders tend to load up at hi altitudes you have to goose it once in a while!

G
grampa ron
Try a new plug.

P
playhooky
grampa ron said:
Try a new plug.

I checked the plug. It was saturated with gas so I cleaned it well and checked gap etc. Reinstalled it but zip. I didn't have a spare but will definitely be trying a new plug in the troubleshooting process. Thanks Ron

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Bypass the red kill switch just connect the 2 wires!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Just looked at mine disregard what I said earlier, follow the wire from the switch up to just below where the coil is on mine it is pink and black just pull apart the single wire where the connector is. This will bybass the switch, all the switch dose is ground the circuit it should start. On mine the switch had just stuck, you can replace the switch or just clean it.

P
playhooky
Thanks GaryP......still troubleshooting at the moment.