More Prime lovin'

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I picked up another Cabela's Prime rod the other day - they're currently on a half off sale (79.99 vs 159.99) - I had some Club Points to use up too, so I got it for even less. I picked up the 7'1" 4 weight. I need the 6' 3 weight now and I'll feel complete :D

Given the multitude of creeks opening to year round fishing next week, I am jonsing to try it out. The weather was complete crap when I got home, so I only got a few minutes of yard casting in but it was enough to tell me I needed to buy another reel - the Echo Ion 4/5 is too heavy to balance - it's too butt heavy. The WMG Dragon Fly I have on my 2 weight was good - a tad light, but better balancing than the Ion.

After running back into the house so I didn't freeze, I did some "house casting" - I was able to roll cast across my living room with a 2 weight double taper line - a distance of about 20 feet. I intend to fish this with a WF #3 line mostly - the 4 weight I originally tried was good but I think the grain window on these rods if pretty wide.

Love these glass rods with their full wells grips and their lively actions.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Pix taken with my wife's new camera...

dn6fdMr.png

WGjT9Fn.png

As one can tell from the photos I'm kind of a fanboy of the Cabela's house branded rods. Probably owned over a dozen of their various models over the years - can only think of a couple that were dogs. The 9' 5 weight 4 piece Fish Eagle, circa 2000, comes to mind - and I want to say there was a 9' 8 weight I wasn't particularly fond of, can't remember which line up it was though, but that rod was pretty much a pool cue. Maybe a 10 weight disguised as an 8?. I seriously hope that the rumors of Bass Pro buying the Big C out are just rumors, or at least if they do, they keep things status quo as far as house branded gear. From what I've seen of the BPS "White River" stuff - I'm not nearly as impressed.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, I am also a big fan of Cabela's house rods, in my case the IM-7 based 'Tourney Trail' spinning and trolling rods, looks like they are converting this line to IM-8 blanks now which is great. I must have 8 of these, probably at an average cost of about $35 each, good rods and great customer service at Cabela's.

T
TimberTodd
I have 3 of the WMG Dragonfly reels on my trout rods. One of these days I will pick up a fiberglass rod to add to the arsenal.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
TimberTodd said:
I have 3 of the WMG Dragonfly reels on my trout rods. One of these days I will pick up a fiberglass rod to add to the arsenal.

If you want good glass without laying out a bunch of cash - jump on the Cabela's sale right now. The Prime rods are excellent but not everyone's cup of tea since they are single piece rods from 6-7'3" long. Their CGR line up though are excellent multi-piece rods from IIRC 5'3" to 7'6" and go from 2 to 8 weight. The CGR's were going for something like $50 or $60 on sale - regular price is about a hundred bucks - so even at full price they're a great buy.

Love my Dragon Fly reel - super light for it's size compared to the other reels in it's price point, and I've not had a single issue with mine.