Molalla river winter steelhead

M
Modest_Man
I don't think "untouched water" is that necessary. The Molalla is not hit very hard by anyone, there are fish at all areas of the river right now and it should only get better through mid April. With all the options of Feryer to 211 bridge, or 211 bridge to Wagon wheel, or Feryer to Wagon wheel why try out some "new" float first off that we're not positive would be a good (safe) idea?

With that being said I'm game for any float. I took my cataraft out in the Clackamas yesterday and it was lots of fun, I just used it to ferry across though.

Any place you can reach the water should be easy launch grounds for a pontoon/cataraft. When I was at the 211 bridge the other day it didn't strike me as a very difficult place to put in at.

My preference though would be to go from Feryer down to Wagon wheel, make a day of it.

N
Noahk
Modest_Man said:
I don't think "untouched water" is that necessary. The Molalla is not hit very hard by anyone, there are fish at all areas of the river right now and it should only get better through mid April. With all the options of Feryer to 211 bridge, or 211 bridge to Wagon wheel, or Feryer to Wagon wheel why try out some "new" float first off that we're not positive would be a good (safe) idea?

With that being said I'm game for any float. I took my cataraft out in the Clackamas yesterday and it was lots of fun, I just used it to ferry across though.

Any place you can reach the water should be easy launch grounds for a pontoon/cataraft. When I was at the 211 bridge the other day it didn't strike me as a very difficult place to put in at.

My preference though would be to go from Feryer down to Wagon wheel, make a day of it.
Saturday? I am so down any time I don't have to work, my schedule is pretty much M-F.

M
Modest_Man
I'm going to be working roughly 20 hours Friday and Saturday combined. Two doubles. :( I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never have a Saturday or Sunday completely free, but if I'm lucky I'll have a Saturday morning and afternoon till about 3 free. My days off are usually during the week.

I don't know what my schedule for Sunday is yet.

I really need to use my degree but jobs are scarcer than steelhead for me so I'm stuck in the restaurant biz for a while...

N
Noahk
Modest_Man said:
I'm going to be working roughly 20 hours Friday and Saturday combined. Two doubles. :( I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never have a Saturday or Sunday completely free, but if I'm lucky I'll have a Saturday morning and afternoon till about 3 free. My days off are usually during the week.

I don't know what my schedule for Sunday is yet.

I really need to use my degree but jobs are scarcer than steelhead for me so I'm stuck in the restaurant biz for a while...
You don't happen to have a degree in accounting by chance? I'm sure a long shot but you never know.

I'd be down for most any Sundays but I'm hitting the Columbia for springers this Sunday.

M
Modest_Man
Biology.

Good luck with the springers. You're not heading out in the kayak are you...? Charter? Or bank?

N
Noahk
Modest_Man said:
Biology.

Good luck with the springers. You're not heading out in the kayak are you...? Charter? Or bank?
Hell yeah the kayak. I trolled for them once before around Sellwood and it actually worked really well. There is a "Springer Clinic" that one of the guys from Northwest Kayak Anglers is putting on. Hoping to soak up some knowledge on how to actually catch one and not just fish for them. Should be fun!

T
troutramp
Did you guys find any in the mo? all this quietness has me curious.

M
Modest_Man
I'm going to head out for a while tomorrow.

O
OnSafari
Went out all day today. Went all over the Molalla. I saw about 5 other fisherman. they hadnt had any luck. But we had a fun time, rain and all. The water was very clear and crisp. I saw a few fish jumping, but teenie tiny ones.

H
hawgin
Modest_Man said:
I'm going to head out for a while tomorrow.
The old boat launch at 211 meadow brook is a great place, there is a rock right below it that is a good place drift left where it slows down a bit! their in their

H
hawgin
or there lol

M
Modest_Man
Thanks for the tip. I'll be out there in the afternoon (1ish to whenever I stop), if you feel like fishing let me know.

M
Modest_Man
Managed to catch a 4' section of wire fence, a stick, and a few rocks. Found a canoe today. Saw a couple guys floating down above Feyrer in some TINY little rubber raft type "craft".

T
troutramp
itll happen, hang in there how was the water.

M
Modest_Man
Good, pretty clear.

T
troutramp
I will be home for easter woohooo.............

H
hawgin
I went out around 5 tonight...nothing I am gonna actually finally throw my waders on and head up river from meadow brook tomorrow

S
skunk
Hey all, I'm off on vacation allllll week next week. I can shuttle modestman if you want to pick a day we can do a float. I need to get out on this river.

M
Modest_Man
Awesome. I will let you know my schedule for next week tomorrow.

H
hawgin
Hiked around for a good couple hours yesterday got back in the car and headed down to wagon wheel around 4ish managed to not get skunked with a 10 inch trout or baby steelhead it had pretty big eyes but hey it was something right...