Upper Molalla river and creeks

T
Trout
While I love to fish the Deschutes and the central waters --- that is just not feasible right now. So I continue my quest for trout waters on the West side of the Cascades.

I saw mention in an older thread that the upper Molalla and tributaries hold native trout in the 6 - 10 inch range. I've never really been in that area - and - the Fishing in Oregon book I have has no mentions of any of the creeks or even the North Fork of the Molalla.

Any general comments on this area would be appreciated.

Thanks

K
Kais
They need to open a stream all year hear in the upper willamette area all year and manage it for trout fishing.

Reactions: olshiftybiscuits
M
mgman6000
I agree you shouldn't have to drive 100 miles to do some trout fishing in streams, we pay for our license like everyone else but seem to be ignored . There has to some streams that salmon don't get into that could be stocked for those of us who just want a relaxing day walking a stream.

M
Modest_Man
Trout said:
Any general comments on this area would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's a nice area. Doesn't get more general than that. Do you have specific questions?

T
Trout
Thanks for your replies --- I just scooped up a bunch of info on the Upper Molalla from some older posts. A lot of good info from Growbug who lives out that way. Biggest thing I learned was that area is overrun by young folks swimming and partying during the Summer. Need to fish it in cooler weather and while school is in session. I likes me a cooler day on the river with a small rain squall now and again .... cuts back on the riff-raff and the gabbers ...

Have to look at the clack watershed area again ...

T
Trout
Modest_Man said:
It's a nice area. Doesn't get more general than that. Do you have specific questions?

If the price of gas was not so crazy I'd be happy to cruise about the upper Molalla watershed checking out the river or creeks for weekend after weekend. Not possible currently. So in general I was asking for any guidance on any stretches of water or creeks that have been productive in the past.

Not looking for anyones honey holes just trying to limit my searching ...

A
adambomb
Look into the parks along Baker Creek just outside of McMinnville. That little trickle has been VERY productive for me, especially earlier in the season.

M
Modest_Man
Trout said:
Thanks for your replies --- I just scooped up a bunch of info on the Upper Molalla from some older posts. A lot of good info from Growbug who lives out that way. Biggest thing I learned was that area is overrun by young folks swimming and partying during the Summer. Need to fish it in cooler weather and while school is in session. I likes me a cooler day on the river with a small rain squall now and again .... cuts back on the riff-raff and the gabbers ...

Have to look at the clack watershed area again ...

Go out early or late. Best time to fish anyways. I haven't had any issues with party people, but I'm not fishing at 2 on a scorching hot day.