Trout in the Molalla?

A
at1a5
Any one know if there is trout in the Molalla? I'm a C&R trout/nymph fly fisherman from the Rockies hoping I might be able to do the same on the Mollala.

Thanks!

F
FishNinja
Ya the molalla has pretty decent trout fishing. Particularly upstream of the town of molalla.

F
fishing_mission
If you go up to the molalla river corridor by dickey prairie you have a lot of river to walk. I usually only use dry flies but im sure nymphing would be just as productive. Not a lot of large trout in there but plenty of fish to be.caught.

F
furflinger
I go up there around every other day since I live minutes from dickey prairie - biggest one I caught this year was a 11" rainbow which is considered a whopper- lots of rainbows but all 6-10" but feisty especially on a 4wt-

F
FishNinja
There's lots and lots of cutthroats too. Gotten several in the 16 inch range on pink wee wigglers

R
redhawk50
Good fishing there. Just lock your rig and don't leave anything tempting in sight.

F
FishNinja
redhawk50 said:
Good fishing there. Just lock your rig and don't leave anything tempting in sight.

Very good advice! Not just the molalla but just about everywhere.

F
furflinger
I've been doing good from pine creek/bridge all the way past horse creek- keep your valuables out of sight in your car! anybody fish Joyce lake this year? it's up the Molalla and had done decent fish in it-

M
Mutiny
I have been out to the mollala a bunch this summer and caught lots of small 4-8" rainbows. I was starting to think that was as big as they got in there until I tried fishing some small bucktail streamers instead of drys and nymphs and caught 4 12" bows in the last two trips. Hooked into less small fish to, which is a relief after trying to gently release dozens of 6" trout. Have not caught any cutts yet.

F
furflinger
which stretch were you pullin the buck tail?

M
Modest_Man
Many of those rainbows are juvenile wild winter Molalla steelhead. Please release them carefully. Barbless is a good idea.

M
Mutiny
furflinger said:
which stretch were you pullin the buck tail?
Caught 1 at wagon wheel, and the others up in the river corridor.
I always fish barbless and treat all fish with care.

M
Mutiny
Anyone been fishing on the mollala recently? I caught this 14" bow a couple weeks ago on a professor hair wing streamer. It jumped two feet out of the water within seconds of being hooked and another couple times after that, put up a hell of a fight, and was released in good condition.

Crappy picture since I was trying to take it on my phone without keeping the fish out if the water to long. Also some photos of an 11" bow and 12+ whitefish from the same trip.

Trout in the Molalla