Missing fisherman in the Wilson River

T
TimberTodd
That is scary. I generally fish alone and this scenario has crossed my mind numerous times while wading. Things can happen so fast.

M
mikeee2362
Be careful out there people!!

J
JeannaJigs
Sad day for that family. Always be careful, water is always moving faster than it appears and it takes just one misstep. Also be careful on the bank. I slipped on a sheet of basalt and almost went into a big rapid on lake creek this fall (east bank above the horn)My wading boots have carbide cleats that work wonderful on wet surfaces but they were like ice skates on a dry shelf with a steep pitch. I knocked myself unconscious and got a concussion but it was close to being way worse, my foot was in the river when I came too. Was definitely a wake up call to be more careful by myself, things go wrong very quickly.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
This is the kind of story that makes me almost hate this time of year. Unfortunately, we fishing folks seem to believe we are impervious to the death traps awaiting us in the next foot of water. How many of us believe wearing a PFD while fishing from the bank is just plain silly? After all, WE aren't going to slip, stumble or fall into the water, WE are only there to feel the adrenaline rush when the next monster fish takes our offering and swims off like a bat out of hell in the opposite direction. And, WE all know waders make us practically immortal, right? WE know exactly where to wade and just how slippery the next rock will be. Of course, WE certainly don't want to look less like a seasoned sportsman/woman by wearing those bulky things while in our kayaks, pontoons, canoes, drift boats or any other water craft. Remember, WE truly believe nothing can happen to us, WE walk with the Water Gods. And that attitude is what leads to stories like this...please be safe.

H
Herefishyfishy
This is why I actually wear my pfd 100% of the time. Whether in the boat or wading along the bank, I won't fish without it. Praying for him and his family...

T
troutmasta
Tragic.

S
steelheader19
God help him and his family!

W
waco
They found the body couple days later down river!!! SAD :sad:

J
JeannaJigs
waco said:
They found the body couple days later down river!!! SAD :sad:

Awful news. Expected, but still awful.

troutdude
troutdude
Totally sad; especially seeing that his own son witnessed it.

I, too, once had a near-fatal mishap like what you described Jeanna; on the Siletz. Slick boulders--and old school rubber hip boots--are not a good combination.

May he RIP.