Meeting for 2013 regulation changes

S
Steelyfishn
I just talked to a member of the CCA. He was informing me that there is some serious traction to get a Bill passed that would turn the McKenzie River into a Fly Fishing only river. In addition, the Bill would also include a Native only fishery and shutting down the Hatchery program.

The supporters of this Bill started there campaign last year and have had virtually no resistance getting it passed. With strong support coming from Governor John Kitzhaber, the Bill is moving quickly.

Bellow you will find information on when and where you can attend a meeting to get more information. So please attend and do your part as a fisherman to protect your rights and our local economy.

This could be a huge impact on Eugene/Springfield's local economy. With new businesses like Cabelas and Dick's Sporting Goods, as well as the many other small businesses that provide local jobs, this Bill would highly impact the jobs they provide. The McKenzie River plays a vital role in the success of those companies and a Bill like this would greatly impact those jobs.

So once again I ask that you participate and be involved. Make efforts to attend this meeting and others in the future. I also ask that you forward this message to everyone you know. The more people that can get involved the better the odds we will have to get this Bill removed.

Sincerely,

Josh Buchwald

Oregon Fish and Wildlife

January 31, 2012

ROSEBURG, Ore. – ODFW staff will outline a new process for anglers proposing new or modified fishing regulations for 2013 at a public meeting Feb. 9 in Roseburg. ODFW staff will explain the changes and answer questions from 7-9 p.m. at the ODFW office, 4192 N. Umpqua Highway, Roseburg.

Anglers can review the process at www.dfw.state.or.us – click on the “Fishing” tab. Look under “Hot Topics” and click on “Public process for 2013 sport fishing regulations.” Anglers can read about the review criteria and get copies of the proposal form.

According to Laura Jackson, ODFW fish biologist in Roseburg, the agency solicits public proposals for changes to the fishing regulations every four years.

“We won’t be discussing proposals at this meeting,” explained Jackson. “Rather, we’ll make sure people understand the criteria for submitting and evaluating proposals.”

Proposals will be accepted through Feb. 29 for the 2013 – 2016 regulations period. Jackson encourages people with a specific proposal to contact the fish district to discuss their proposal.

###

Contact

Laura Jackson (541) 440-3353
Jessica Sall (503) 947-6023

Reactions: JeannaJigs
T
TTFishon
So how do you feel about this? I'm ok with it myself.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm concerned with how it will impact the salmon fishery.... Where does that fit into things?

Honestly I think the upper stretches should be artificial (not just fly, either) only but I think the lower river (leaburg down) should have a stocking program as a put and take. I grew up throwing worms for stockers there. It's where we learn to fish something other than a pond.

Everyone has different opinions on the matter, I know many people that are all for fly and native only waters, and I respect their opinions. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

brandon4455
brandon4455
it would be good for everything in that river. not just saying that because im a fly fisherman. i think they should remove bait and hatchery fish, but i wouldn't mind it lures and flies instead of just flies. still,look at other fly only waters in oregon and then tell me it would not be good for the Mckenzie
EDIT: forgot to add, there are plenty of stocking programs in local lakes,reservoirs and even streams that provide plenty of opportunity for people looking to fish bait and bring home their catch. if this does pass then i figure the people that fish the McKenzie that are not fly fisherman will just head to a different river,the local economy will be fine. Cabelas and many other outdoor stores sell fly fishing gear, It will benefit them and the local area fly shops.

Last edited:
S
salmon_slayer87
JeannaJigs said:
I'm concerned with how it will impact the salmon fishery.... Where does that fit into things?

Honestly I think the upper stretches should be artificial (not just fly, either) only but I think the lower river (leaburg down) should have a stocking program as a put and take. I grew up throwing worms for stockers there. It's where we learn to fish something other than a pond.

Everyone has different opinions on the matter, I know many people that are all for fly and native only waters, and I respect their opinions. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.
_
I agree. Is it not enough that there is a "no motor" rule on the McKenzie?
This is a beyond stupid bill. I just don't get why? It just seems like a bunch of old rich guys bored with their lives...trying to change another rule. I don't have fly gear...which means...they are kicking me off of this river.
Just tell me what to sign!!!!
Dale

troutdude
troutdude
IMHO, I'd like to see flies AND artificial lures only. And keep the hatchery run.

T
Thuggin4Life
I need a talk to type program. This is a stupid change. People aren't just gonna switch to fly fishing. The economy will suffer. Even darimarts will loose money on worm sales. There are tons of sections of the Mac and even the willy to fly fish out of town with better views and less people. The section through town gets fished a lot and guys who have the favorite haunts after work will miss out. I also bet most of the people who are trying to pass this don't even live nearby. And in my opinion and I know this is gonna **** guys off but to force anglers to only be able to fish for stickers in the reservoirs and lakes and ponds is ****ed up and the style of fishing is retarted unless you have a boat. And they are farther away. Bank fishing at these spots no matter what you are casting sucks and reservoirs are never full so yeah let's all go stand in the mud with a $hitty view. I'm on my IPhone so typing sucks but I will try to voice my opinion as the thread continues and try to not get banned. They need to make me the decision maker and I could have our waters managed in the best way possible for everyone. Way to ruin the economy and take away the enjoyment out of tons of people who live in the area so all the Portland yuppies with a fly rod can have the own private fly tossing sessions. So pissed good thing I'm sober.

M
moon
Which Bill is that?

I haven't heard of this one yet. I'm in the fight to remove bait and hatchery fish and though i'm an avid flyfisher, i am not on board with making the McKenzie fly fishing only. But I have been accused of this very same thing.... So i would like to see the proposed bill, and see who is submitting said bill. So do you know what HB number it is?

Moon

T
Thuggin4Life
While we are at it lets make bait illegal everywhere that has a current and only put pellet heads in mud puddles. And make it illegal to keep anything with a fin on all waterways.

Go fish the south fork if you support these ideas. It's nice up there. Way better than fishing in town.

S
Steelyfishn
Dale you are spot on... Look fly fisherman make up 11% of the fisherman on that river and they have had no resistance in barely over a year. Myself and the other 89% don't get a say!!! C'mon... Read what I wrote in my original post they will shut down the hatchery program on that river. So not just trout but Salmon/Steelhead. Read what Andy wrote. He is right this is messed up on so many levels. Just remember 11% when you form your opinion. This is influenced by people with deep pockets and favors owed...

salmon_slayer87 said:
_
I agree. Is it not enough that there is a "no motor" rule on the McKenzie?
This is a beyond stupid bill. I just don't get why? It just seems like a bunch of old rich guys bored with their lives...trying to change another rule. I don't have fly gear...which means...they are kicking me off of this river.
Just tell me what to sign!!!!
Dale

S
Steelyfishn
How do I feel about this... well I wrote that letter/Email/post... so how do I feel, insignificant in comparison to 11% of the fisherman on that river that would like this Bill passed. I have sent that letter to Cabelas, Dick's, Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart the list goes on... These are my customers and I support there businesses. This is where I live and I support our economy, TT if you had a clue you would too.

TTFishon said:
So how do you feel about this? I'm ok with it myself.

S
Steelyfishn
Thank you Andy for your statements... We need support from you and other like minded individuals

Thuggin4Life said:
While we are at it lets make bait illegal everywhere that has a current and only put pellet heads in mud puddles. And make it illegal to keep anything with a fin on all waterways.

Go fish the south fork if you support these ideas. It's nice up there. Way better than fishing in town.

S
Steelyfishn
For those of you that support this and do not think it will effect our local economy I will give you a small 1 weekend example... Every year we have this small insignificant Free fish weekend (JK this is a big deal for many families and kids and its like black friday for the retail fishing world) the weeks leading up to this weekend trump the amount of sales fly fishing has for the entire year. So don't tell me that this will not effect large and small businesses. Do you think that Cabelas would have put that store here if they knew a year later that the main attraction would be closed to 89% of there customers. This local economy has suffered enough and for the fisherman out there that struggles to put a few fumes in there gas tanks to get out on the river, they don't need another obstacle and further distances to get out and fish. I am open to new ideas and ways to make our rivers better but not at the price of jobs or fisherman or better yet families that want to take there kids fishing in there own backyard.

J
JeannaJigs
definitely not ok with the screwing us out of the salmon fishery. I still think there could be a compromise segregating the upper and lower river but to make the whole thing hatchery free and fly only isn't a good thing for 90% of the people that live and fish here. Are we supposed to drive to Portland for salmon fishing? I get that the red side is the holy grail of the fly but salmon are the holy grail of gear. It's not right to kick everyone that doesn't fly fish for trout off the river.

B
bigsteel
Steelyfishn said:
I just talked to a member of the CCA. He was informing me that there is some serious traction to get a Bill passed that would turn the McKenzie River into a Fly Fishing only river. In addition, the Bill would also include a Native only fishery and shutting down the Hatchery program.

The supporters of this Bill started there campaign last year and have had virtually no resistance getting it passed. With strong support coming from Governor John Kitzhaber, the Bill is moving quickly.

Bellow you will find information on when and where you can attend a meeting to get more information. So please attend and do your part as a fisherman to protect your rights and our local economy.

This could be a huge impact on Eugene/Springfield's local economy. With new businesses like Cabelas and Dick's Sporting Goods, as well as the many other small businesses that provide local jobs, this Bill would highly impact the jobs they provide. The McKenzie River plays a vital role in the success of those companies and a Bill like this would greatly impact those jobs.

So once again I ask that you participate and be involved. Make efforts to attend this meeting and others in the future. I also ask that you forward this message to everyone you know. The more people that can get involved the better the odds we will have to get this Bill removed.

Sincerely,

Josh Buchwald

Oregon Fish and Wildlife

January 31, 2012

ROSEBURG, Ore. – ODFW staff will outline a new process for anglers proposing new or modified fishing regulations for 2013 at a public meeting Feb. 9 in Roseburg. ODFW staff will explain the changes and answer questions from 7-9 p.m. at the ODFW office, 4192 N. Umpqua Highway, Roseburg.

Anglers can review the process at www.dfw.state.or.us – click on the “Fishing” tab. Look under “Hot Topics” and click on “Public process for 2013 sport fishing regulations.” Anglers can read about the review criteria and get copies of the proposal form.

According to Laura Jackson, ODFW fish biologist in Roseburg, the agency solicits public proposals for changes to the fishing regulations every four years.

“We won’t be discussing proposals at this meeting,” explained Jackson. “Rather, we’ll make sure people understand the criteria for submitting and evaluating proposals.”

Proposals will be accepted through Feb. 29 for the 2013 – 2016 regulations period. Jackson encourages people with a specific proposal to contact the fish district to discuss their proposal.

###

Contact

Laura Jackson (541) 440-3353
Jessica Sall (503) 947-6023

where is this bill that you think will end gear fishing on the mckenzie?you shouldnt believe everything you hear.

B
bigsteel
I am all for the banning of bait on the river however i am not for fly fishing only waters.as far as the stocker trout there are numerous other creeks and rivers they stock around that area,why not let the mckenzie do its thing?

I highly doubt cabelas will go out of business because they end stocking of the river.If you think stocker trout are the main attraction of this river,you are sorely mistaken.
I just dont get the mentality of everyone wants everything the exact same,why not have a trophy trout fishery here in the mid valley?there are plenty of places to catch 8" fish other then the mckenzie.why must we stock every inch of oregon waters with hatchery fish?its just ridiculous to me.

I would never sign this bill.

T
TTFishon
Steelyfishn said:
How do I feel about this... well I wrote that letter/Email/post... so how do I feel, insignificant in comparison to 11% of the fisherman on that river that would like this Bill passed. I have sent that letter to Cabelas, Dick's, Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart the list goes on... These are my customers and I support there businesses. This is where I live and I support our economy, TT if you had a clue you would too.

I didn't give it much thought yesterday. Everyone has some valid concerns though. I'm all for lure and fly with the hatchery program still in place. My question is, what's wrong with the way it is now? It's great fishery so why change it?

S
salmon_slayer87
TTFishon said:
I didn't give it much thought yesterday. Everyone has some valid concerns though. I'm all for lure and fly with the hatchery program still in place. My question is, what's wrong with the way it is now? It's great fishery so why change it?

That's exactly how I feel...why change it? I love taking my boys there to fish.
Its a perfect place for new or young fishermen/ women to learn on. How is putting planters in that river really going to hurt the ecosystem? It wont...there are still fish in the river. Don't even get me started on the Salmon/Steelhead.
Its not broke...so don't try and fix it.
Dale

B
bigsteel
salmon_slayer87 said:
That's exactly how I feel...why change it? I love taking my boys there to fish.
Its a perfect place for new or young fishermen/ women to learn on. How is putting planters in that river really going to hurt the ecosystem? It wont...there are still fish in the river. Don't even get me started on the Salmon/Steelhead.
Its not broke...so don't try and fix it.
Dale
it hurst because now the native fish population have to contend with hatchery fish for food.considering they dump umpteen thousands of fish in there a year thats a lot of fish for the native population to compete with.

B
bigsteel
Sinkline said:
Looking at this closer, I am guessing this is a rumor based on biologist Zillers McKenzie proposal. I'll bet folks have taken Zillers proposal out of context and blown it into what the thread starter reported. Just my guess unless someone shows me this alleged bill.

Here is a link to the ODFW staff & OSP staff proposals for the 4-year regulation period starting in 2013. Read proposal 31S that applies to this thread.
http://dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/public_process/docs/Summary_of_ODFW_Proposals.pdf

Randy

Randy,the OP will not find any bill that supports his claims,its just heresay that he heard from some CCA guy.