McKenzie fishing help

W
wizfish
im gonna be bank trout fishing this weekend somewhere between hayden bridge and the leaburg dam and was wonderin if anyone could give me some tips on fishin that river
whether its bait or lures etc!!!!
thx for your help and ill be sure to post a report when im back!!!
thanks

B
benkearney
What kind of set up? Fly fishing?

W
wizfish
preferably spin fishing but im not opposed to throwin a fly on my spin reel.

K
KevinB
I just got back from a vacation out there and had a pretty good time on the McKenzie. I only know flies and would suggest a yellow stimulator behind a clear bubble if you're trying to get them to rise. I was fishing above Leaburg dam, but I would imagine the same stuff would work lower down. Mega Princes, Copper Johns, and bead head Pheasant tails worked well too if you want to use sub-surface stuff. Also got my first steelhead on a purple egg sucking leech...If I were spin fishing, I would put one a couple of feet below a castable weight and swing it through appropriate steelhead water.

B
bran_man
Well from hayden bridge to the dam you can use bait. Anything before that is artificials and lures. Certain parts of the MAC are catch and release too ( I believe its anything before hayden). They usually have signs at the more popular spots if it is c/r. I hear greenwood is a great trout spot. Has good holes. I hear deerhorn is good for trout too. Probably pretty stacked with steelhead fishers though. I usually just drift worms or throw size 1 or 2 blue fox. I think they stocked the dam reservoir today too if the rivers aren't producing.

W
wizfish
thanks everyone ill be sure to post a report when i get back!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Greenwood is gonna be stacked with salmon anglers, deerhorn and leaburg with steelhead anglers. Everywhere else in between should be dandy for trout. I just wouldn't recommend the aforementioned locations for trout angling this time of year due to the intense pressure. There's a lot of good trout water above goodpasture bridge. Take the bridge and follow that road until it turns into a gravel BLM road. Every pullout has a relatively easy acces hole. Lots of trout to be had.

U
UGLYSTICKER
wizfish said:
im gonna be bank trout fishing this weekend somewhere between hayden bridge and the leaburg dam and was wonderin if anyone could give me some tips on fishin that river
whether its bait or lures etc!!!!
thx for your help and ill be sure to post a report when im back!!!
thanks

i caught these today released a few too. on Deerhorn rd. very easily done with worm and corky 2 ft of leader a swivel and a sliding egg sinker. many hotspots on Deerhorn rd. good-luck:D
dh71511.png

Last edited: