Lopsided Loops

F
Fishtopher
Alright. Im starting to make my own spinners and jigs. So far I'm having more fun with the jigs. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows why Blue Fox spinners dont have a normal loop at the top of the lure. Its kinda crooked. Ive compared Rooster Tails to B.F.'s and the R.T. have a normal loop in the wire. My only guess is that the crooked loop helps keep the...aw heck I dont have any idea.

*hand raised* "teacher, I need help".

A
ArcticAmoeba
Blue Foxes are a novel idea, executed very poorly...That said they are not only bold face lying on the package by telling you you are getting a vibrax component, when you can plainly see that is is lacking the only components that have ever used "Vibrax" in the name, the blades. The real vibrax blades have vertical sharp flutes in the blade, and the BF's certainly do not. They do have a fluted inner body, that does emmit some energy, but still, that is not a vibrax. The lopsided wire loop is just another way you get skunked for 5 bucks. It does make a difference, as any imbalace in the spinner will send out an "off" frequency, that detracts fish. Enough thrashing of BF...for now. Some time I will show you some of the "bell body" spinners that I have produced, and you will see, and hear;) the difference. On actual real world fishing testing done by the manufacturer of the spinner components I purchase, The Blue Fox spinner caught 1 fish for every 9 fish boated or banked by the the "Rattler Bell", which is the spinner that I now twist up, pretty much primarily, because I have had such good luck with them. Produced properly, my spinners catch a lot of fish, and I re-twist them after just about every fish hooked, even if they roll into me and spit it. The spinner I produce are also tuneable, so after one fish hooked, I can tell you in an instant if the spinner will catch another...Can't do that with Blue Foxes, or any other brand for that matter. The little things count!

F
FishSchooler
I'm startin to think about buying spinner parts... Where should I buy them in bulk without driving to b c angling (i really dont feel like driving that far just for spinner stuff I know pretty stupid)? in joes, I glanced and one pack has only 2-4 blades, still like 3 bucks. I read that some places you can get blades for as cheap as 1-4 cents per part. Once I buy them though, Im going to have a lot of the same color, how do I change them without buying new blades? Spray paint? Where do you buy your spinner stuff (besides b c...)? :D

B
bigdog
FishSchooler said:
I'm startin to think about buying spinner parts... Where should I buy them in bulk without driving to b c angling (i really dont feel like driving that far just for spinner stuff I know pretty stupid)? in joes, I glanced and one pack has only 2-4 blades, still like 3 bucks. I read that some places you can get blades for as cheap as 1-4 cents per part. Once I buy them though, Im going to have a lot of the same color, how do I change them without buying new blades? Spray paint? Where do you buy your spinner stuff (besides b c...)? :D
What kind of car are you guys driving that would make such a difference in gas in only 3 miles diff. I drive a 89 jeep that only gets 17 mile to the gallon and that isn't going to break the bank in 3 miles or so :lol:

B
bigdog
ArcticAmoeba said:
Blue Foxes are a novel idea, executed very poorly...That said they are not only bold face lying on the package by telling you you are getting a vibrax component, when you can plainly see that is is lacking the only components that have ever used "Vibrax" in the name, the blades. The real vibrax blades have vertical sharp flutes in the blade, and the BF's certainly do not. They do have a fluted inner body, that does emmit some energy, but still, that is not a vibrax. The lopsided wire loop is just another way you get skunked for 5 bucks. It does make a difference, as any imbalace in the spinner will send out an "off" frequency, that detracts fish. Enough thrashing of BF...for now. Some time I will show you some of the "bell body" spinners that I have produced, and you will see, and hear;) the difference. On actual real world fishing testing done by the manufacturer of the spinner components I purchase, The Blue Fox spinner caught 1 fish for every 9 fish boated or banked by the the "Rattler Bell", which is the spinner that I now twist up, pretty much primarily, because I have had such good luck with them. Produced properly, my spinners catch a lot of fish, and I re-twist them after just about every fish hooked, even if they roll into me and spit it. The spinner I produce are also tuneable, so after one fish hooked, I can tell you in an instant if the spinner will catch another...Can't do that with Blue Foxes, or any other brand for that matter. The little things count!
I keep reading about all this tuning spinners and all Call me dum or what not but what does this mean. I know there must be something to it because the day that I got my first three in three hours using BF, each fish was on a new spinner in less then four cast and after I got the fish and kept using the same spinner nothing for half hour or more then switched to new one never in water and wham by the forth cast fish on. After that nothing again till I put a new one on that hadn't hit the water and there you go about forth cast wham again. Now if this is the case I need to make my own so I can "retune" them because can get spendy if I have to keep buying a new spinner after every fish.
CJ

F
FishSchooler
Yeah, same with me bigdog. All I can see different from other normal spinners is the lobsided loop... thats all... ye... I too want to "retune" my spinners, just gotta go buy some blades, bodies, beads, trebs, clevs, and wire... rah... :D

A
ArcticAmoeba
CJ, there is quite a lot of engineering, and testing that went into the Rattler Bells, the spinners Dan(FishFinger) and I are using. BF's have many other issues besides the lopsided loop, although simply replacing the wire on a BF with a longer unit, will drastically increase its catching abilities, even with trout spinners! I thought trout would snatch anything, but ever since I switched over, It has been knock out for me. If you shake a BF around by the loop, you'll hear that it is pretty dull, none of mine, or Dan's probably sound like that. They "Ring" not "Clunk" when you give them a light shake. Along with the fact that metal, rotating around another metals at about 120 RPM creates an electrical field. (Remember Middle School science with the mild steel, and Chromium plated steel, and Aluminum sheets, in the salt water???) If it is not the right one, like the ones emmitted by prey, or baitfish, your burnt. Coho especially, along with steelhead, will radically de-tune your junk...They are so full of it, they just have to freak out, and bend the wires. You can't tell a BF is out of shape, but with the ones I use, it is possible to see if I would fish it again instantly. Re-wiring your Blue Foxes will make them a bit better, and that is all that matters to me, is just the slightest edge.

B
bigdog
Well I intend on going to bc next week and picking up some stuff for making my own and trying some new things and hope to produce more strikes and more fish. BF was the first spinners someone on the bank told me to use and swore by so I went for it but I'm always out to try something new and if it produces more (witch I have seen from you guys) then oh yeah I'm there.
CJ

F
FishSchooler
oh... erm k, that gives me a reason! I'll have to go buy some extra wire when I go... :D

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
Well I intend on going to bc next week and picking up some stuff for making my own and trying some new things and hope to produce more strikes and more fish. BF was the first spinners someone on the bank told me to use and swore by so I went for it but I'm always out to try something new and if it produces more (witch I have seen from you guys) then oh yeah I'm there.
CJ

I used to carry a butt load of BF's deep in the bowls of my back pack. I too had been told they were what you needed. Oddly I never had much success in spite of trying every colour they made. I thought it was me and perhaps I lacked the skillz to use a spinner. Ever more ammo for me to accuse spin fishermen of be one step above pond scum and two above snaggers.

Then I began to listen to Ian and decided to look into what spinners are really supposed to do. After my first visit to BC I was hooked.

Since I got the hang of it, twisting spinners; I am nothing short of amazed at how well they can and do work.

I once sold dozens upon dozens of woolly buggers to anglers at warm springs in like '83; as the big Indian stocker trout went nuts for them. Not since then have I seen fish utterly attack something I have made by hand or bought for that matter. Not just stocker trout but migrating salmon, does it get any better?

F
FishSchooler
I twisted my first spinner yesterday! :D Notin but a paperclip, beads, and old bf.

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
I twisted my first spinner yesterday! :D Notin but a paperclip, beads, and old bf.

The paper clip is probally too wide and soft to keep it's shape in the real fishing world, but you do have the right idea.

Did you make sure the p.c. was totally straight? Take a small lenght of 2x4. place the wire on a flat cement floor. using the 2x4 begin moving it back and forth over the wire. It will start to roll easier and easier until you've straightened it out"

Now twist up a spinner, leaving 1" between the blade and the top eye. spin the wire between your fingers and verify 1) the hook hangs and spins straight and dosen't throw off to the side, 2) the upper eye looks even and balanced. If so you are on the right track; paper clip and all.

F
FishSchooler
Lol thanks, yeah, the paper clip looks like it would snap under a coho... I just twisted another one... they are real fun... This time, the eyes are more balanced and I put less beads on, so its all better. Thing is, I don't have any treb hooks or split rings, I better go restock... :D Oh yeah, the paper clip is not that thick, It is a small one.

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
Lol thanks, yeah, the paper clip looks like it would snap under a coho... I just twisted another one... they are real fun... This time, the eyes are more balanced and I put less beads on, so its all better. Thing is, I don't have any treb hooks or split rings, I better go restock... :D Oh yeah, the paper clip is not that thick, It is a small one.

Drop the split ring and connect the hook to the lower loop. Drop the swivle too. Use it to connect your main line to your leader. Keep your wraps tighter.

F
FishSchooler
Okis, thanks for all the info! :D I'll probably stop by b c this weekend or something. :)

F
Fishtopher
See what you did to me now?!...lol

See what you did to me now?!...lol

:lol:;)Well, I finally got around to fishing the spinners that i started on a while back. After I twisted the first one, I decided I needed a "mister twister". But then I found an old pair of needle nose pliers. Took'em out the garage and got out the grinder. Rounded off one jaw of the pliers. Havent got it perfected yet, but the latest loops are way better than the first one I tried!:lol: Fished the spinner with the red hook first and thought for sure I had fish on but it was just a native...rock fish...foul hooked no doubt. I was lucky enough to have overly strong line on and managed to get it back. Only with one straightened hook. Fished the other two with no incident. But, they cast well, and retrieve well too. Now I just need'em to fish well too! All the spinners that i have twisted are recycled Blue Foxes, and a few with Rooster Tail bodies. The possibilties are endless! I see how you guys have so much fun with it!! Now about the guts of Rattler's or Vibrax's or "Slayers";)...Ive noticed the guts inside the bell body are different from spinner to spinner. Any thoughts/opinions on the subject? Is there a preffered material that lets out the magic sound/vibration?

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
I have found the hex rattle component to be far better at creating sound than the BFs round ribbed unit.

Bearing beads are important to maximize rotation of the bell and the blade.

Using a #3 clevis with a #4 blade gives the right amount of "wobble". This seems to generate better contact between the hex and the bell.

I tried round 8 mm tungsten beads for the "rattle" with no proven results.

A
A_J-Llama
spinner supplies

spinner supplies

When you guys mentioned fishing supplies you referred to "b c". I know fishing in B.C. is British Columbia, but my I'm lost on the other one. Anyone help me out, your help would be greatly appreciated. ...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy

F
FishSchooler
When people say bc, they are refering to bc angling post, a little shop in gladstone and they sell tons of spinnermaking components. :D

A
A_J-Llama
Thanks so much for the reply !! Is that what used to be Fisherman's Supply? I know Joe's has supplies as well but not nearly the selection. When I went to fs in the past I felt like a kid in a candy store, so much to try, and never enough to buy. Prob. a good thing, too much to carry anyway:)

Just found their website, once again opened my mouth when I should have opened my eyes. Thanks again !!! ........Good things come to those who bait.