Looking for vacation ideas with only waders

T
Trippysmurf
Being new to fly fishing and such and with my birthday coming up on the 11th me and a buddy have decided to do a fishing/camping trip for our birthdays. My question to you all out there is any advice on some good spots maybe that My buddy can reel fish from shore and I myself can use a 9' rod with waders? Wish I had a boat but that's for later. Thanks a ton in advance.

S
sapo
If you guys are looking to go somewhere in Oregon, the Owyhee, if you're willing to drive, is great year round.

T
Trippysmurf
is that area all only fly fishing? My buddy I am taking with dont got the fly gear yet is why i ask

Troutski
Troutski
Land of plenty....

Land of plenty....

There are quite a few places in the Springfield/Eugene area that allow both fly angling and lures, if you are thinking of bait the map opens up for the two of you. The Middle Fork of the Willy from the Beltline bridge up to Dexter dam is open all year for most species of fish... Check the local regulations before casting. Steelhead, Chinook, Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout are all within 18 mins of your front door...
PM me if you need more direct locations, tight lines and be safe by the water...

Chuck

Reactions: Raincatcher
J
JonT
Trippysmurf said:
is that area all only fly fishing? My buddy I am taking with dont got the fly gear yet is why i ask

How else are you going to learn?

C
coyo7e
Troutski said:
There are quite a few places in the Springfield/Eugene area that allow both fly angling and lures, if you are thinking of bait the map opens up for the two of you. The Middle Fork of the Willy from the Beltline bridge up to Dexter dam is open all year for most species of fish... Check the local regulations before casting. Steelhead, Chinook, Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout are all within 18 mins of your front door...
PM me if you need more direct locations, tight lines and be safe by the water...

Chuck
Farther above near the ranger station and Westfir/Oakridge, on Forest road 19, there's a ton of small, beautiful water with C&R cutts and redbands in droves if you catch the temps and/or light right. There are enough little guys that even poor conditions often have several 5-7"ers hopping around behind fallen snags and in other choice cover to practise casting. Most of the distance from Westfir up FR 19 is nice water and most pull-outs (which aren't from logging traffic) have trails down to the water. Check out Kiahanie campground or the others up around there, they're mainly dirt-cheap primitive sites and you can have a great time with waders or just a willingness to get wet in cold water in the hot sun. ;)

I've also heard there are a couple of pull-outs on 58 with productive water below Oakridge however I haven't had the time and inclination to stop and check out the ones I suspect yet. :)