Looking for advise on what centerpin setup to get.

V
viper0463
Hey everyone I've never used a centerpin setup and want to try it this year for steelhead and the only one that seems reasonable is the okuma combo. I don't want to spend 400 or so on a setup if I don't like that type of fishing. So my question is the okuma combo a good starter setup or is there something else I should look at? I know I don't want a rod linger than 13'6". Any advise would help. If it helps anyone the creeks are small here and I usually use a spin setup.

Thanks

S
steelhead_stalkers
I have a 13' centerpin rod that works great. Iv been using an okuma reel that works just fine. I would go with a 13' rod as it will be less tip heavy than the 13'6". Its a fun way to float fish!

V
viper0463
steelhead_stalkers said:
I have a 13' centerpin rod that works great. Iv been using an okuma reel that works just fine. I would go with a 13' rod as it will be less tip heavy than the 13'6". Its a fun way to float fish!

Should I buy new or look for used?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its up to you on how much you want to spend. FishUSA.com has some great deals on centerpin setups. You can check out centerpin setup reviews on their site too.

V
viper0463
Well I decided I'm going to get the Sheffield Dr-II center pin reel. It has a drag for when I want it. I already know that drags are looked down on from most center pin guys but I'm not buying it for the same reasons as most. I'm buying it for the ease of drifting over using a spinning setup. I know its not the pure experience but I.don't have to use a drag. Also I'm getting it for 250. Now on the hunt for a 4 piece 13' fixed grip rod.

C
CleaverID
What did you end up getting for an outfit? I just ordered up my rod and am looking at pin reels now. I am thinking the Ross reel may be the way I go. Looking forward to fishing for steelies this fall!

V
viper0463
CleaverID said:
What did you end up getting for an outfit? I just ordered up my rod and am looking at pin reels now. I am thinking the Ross reel may be the way I go. Looking forward to fishing for steelies this fall!

I bought the Sheffield DR-II reel and I went with a shimano rod. It isn't a fixed reel rear but lifetime warranty and its a 4 piece. 13' is the length. Works good as a combo but I still need to learn how to cast the thing. I've covered a couple of trees with hooks already trying to figure it out. Apparently I need more backyard practice. It has taught me to be a bit humble though.

C
CleaverID
I got rainshadow rx8 13' 3 piece i am having anglers habitat build. Should be a beauty when it is done. Still thinking about the reel. I want to step up and get an islander reel but they are pricey. but on the flipside the reels hold their value if i decided to unload. The wallis cast is the 1st one I want to learn. They don't look too bad to learn, easier than spey casts anyway. I have an advantage fishing from a drift boat that I can get above the slot and just drop it in and let it ride when I get too frustrated casting. We'll see how it goes. If I hook a 40"er on this rod it will be quite the ride! The majority of the fish we catch in northern Idaho are in the mid 30's (inches) and on the Salmon @30" with the occasional hawg. I will be running 10lb mainline and 6-8lb leader depending on water conditions. Are you using hi vis float specific line? That'll be another learning point for me. Float weight vs rig weight for cast-ability. Still easier when I am not having be be concerned with what type of shooting head and what grain weight and what tip sinking or floating works with which type of fly like in spey. Im sure I will still spey cast, it is fun, but can be a pain in the butt at times for a newbie. I really like the fact that flies won't be zipping by my face at mach 2 also.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Learning the Modified Wallis Cast makes spay casting seem like casting a spinning reel. It is much harder to learn the Wallis cast especially if you want to cast more than 4 ft. Good luck.

C
CleaverID
steelhead_stalkers said:
Learning the Modified Wallis Cast makes spay casting seem like casting a spinning reel. It is much harder to learn the Wallis cast especially if you want to cast more than 4 ft. Good luck.
Sounds like I may need it. They never did show how far the bobber rig went on the videos.... The motion was a lot more strait forward than Spey. Good thing I have a field near by to practice in.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I can see how it would look easier on video. The hard part is depending on how far you want to cast you have to pull with more or less speed before casting. So your pull has to match the distance you want to cast. Very timing intensive that takes practice. Once you get it down, it will slowly get easier to cast further. I would start with smaller water so you are not tempted to cast to far. Your day can end quickly that way. :D

F
fishinshawn
I know guys that have put spinning reels on center pin rods, but what is the advantage of the centerpin reel? Or is it just a different way to fish, that people enjoy?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its a fun way to fish! Being able to have instant pressure when setting the hook is nice and you can control how much drag you put on a fish better than a reel. This works well especially with light line. The longer rod makes it more effective for float fishing but you can use a long rod with a spinning or casting reel too. I enjoy the fight on my centerpin reel.